If you’re looking for a holiday destination with exquisite natural beauty, Venezuela in South America boasts Andean mountain peaks, an idyllic Caribbean coastline, paradise islands, and more. Tourist attractions abound, from sandy beaches to vast wetlands and rivers, charming Colonial towns and a jungle that is untouched and undiscovered – not forgetting the highest waterfall in the world. Adventure activities are numerous, too, or, if you prefer, you can relax and enjoy the beauty at leisure. It’s all up to you.
Why travel to Venezuela
- This diverse country offers a variety of holiday options, from beach breaks to Caribbean islands, tropical jungle and mountains to climb.
- Here you can see the highest waterfall in the world, Angel Falls.
- Venezuela’s wetlands are home to an unbelievable variety of wildlife including iguanas, anacondas, anteaters, toucans and parrots.
- Enjoy a picture-perfect beach holiday in the remarkable Los Roques islands in the Caribbean.
- You’ll find the second longest cable car in the world, in the colonial town of Merida.
- Venezuela boasts 2,736km of coastline with magnificent beaches fringed by the Caribbean.
- The jungle here is a haven for adventure seekers.
Travel to Venezuela to climb mountains, swim in the azure sea, explore tropical jungles and discover unusual wildlife. You can look forward to delicious food and buzzing nightlife in and its capital, Caracas. We will put together a tailormade holiday package for you to this exciting South American destination. Call us now and arrange your Venezuela package holiday.
Things to do in Venezuela
Venezuela offers every type of holiday you can possibly imagine. From jungle adventures to beach breaks on a Caribbean island, and wildlife expeditions in the wetlands to travelling to the clouds in Merida, there are so many things to do in Venezuela.
If you’re looking to enjoy a vibrant nightlife, you’ll find it in Caracas. Want a peaceful break? Then head to the coast. Whatever activity you want to pursue, whatever sight you’d like to see, you’ll find it when you travel to Venezuela. Go kayaking, rafting, mountain biking and hiking. Laze on the beach, surf the dunes, or explore colonial towns. Here’s a taste of what’s on offer…
Things to do in Venezuela
- Climb a mountain in Parque Nacional Sierra Nevada.
- Visit Margarita Island, the Pearl of the Caribbean.
- Ride one of the world’s longest cable cars into the clouds in Merida.
- Enjoy sand surfing the dunes near the town of Coro.
- Go snorkelling off Isla de Plata on the northeast coast.
- Explore the Amazonas jungle.
- Visit marvellous Angel Falls, the highest waterfall in the world.
- Enjoy skiing in the Andes Mountains.
- Go diving in Morrocoy National Park.
- Discover a variety of wildlife in the Orinoco Delta.
- Visit the National Pantheon in Caracas, Venezuela’s most sacred shrine.
- Be captivated by the lightning in Catatumbo.
- Visit Colonia Tovar (which translates to ‘Tovar Colony’ in English), which is a slice of Germany in the Venezuelan countryside.
Venezuela’s tourist attractions are beautiful and often surprising. These include magnificent waterfalls tumbling off table-top mountains, exquisite offshore islands with white sand beaches, a variety of wildlife and intriguing towns and cities. Wherever you go in this vibrant country, and whatever you do, you’re guaranteed an exciting Venezuela package holiday. Choose a tailor-made trip with Thompsons for the ultimate escape.
Know before you go...
- Best time to visit Venezuela is in the dry season (summer), November to April.
- The rainy season (winter) is from May to November.
- Flight duration from Johannesburg to Caracas with one stopover: 25 hours, 55 minutes.
- There are not many regular flights from South Africa to Venezuela.
- South African passport holders do not require a visa to enter Venezuela for a stay of up to 90 days.
- Passports must be valid for 6 months after arrival in Venezuela.
- Venezuela is 6 hours behind South Africa.
- Daylight saving is not practiced in Venezuela.
- The official currency in Venezuela is the Venezuelan Bolivar (VEB).
- Credit cards are widely accepted.
- When exchanging money, US Dollars will get you the best rate.
- Tipping is customary in Venezuela.
- The official language is Spanish.
- Italian, Portuguese, German, Chinese and English are all spoken in Venezuela.
- Roman Catholicism is the main religion in Venezuela.
- When visiting sacred sites and temples, dress conservatively. (See ‘What to pack’).
- It is preferable to drink bottled water in Venezuela, which is readily available.
- Smoking is not permitted in public areas such as restaurants, bars and indoor work places as well as on public transport. Airports offer designated smoking rooms.
- Vaccinations – please check with your travel clinic before you go.
What must I pack?
- Lightweight clothing in summer, warm layerable clothing for winter, beach wear depending on where you are going.
- Comfortable walking shoes.
- Sunscreen, lip balm, hat and sunglasses.
- Mini first aid kit and regular prescription medication.
- Hand sanitiser and insect repellent.
- Travel adaptor.
- Transport within Venezuela revolves around buses and taxis. Some cities have subway systems.
- Towns in outlying areas may have less sophisticated transport infrastructure – it depends where you are going.
What can I do to be a responsible traveller?
- Wherever possible, buy local food and souvenirs and support local artisans.
- Instead of using plastic bags, take fabric shopping bags with you.
- Respect each other's cultures and customs and avoid imposing your beliefs.
- Be safety conscious: don’t display cash or valuables. Leave jewellery and expensive watches at home.
- Keep your belongings safe – use the hotel safe for passports and valuables and watch out for pickpockets and bag snatchers when out and about.
What do I do in an emergency?
- If passports or valuables are stolen, report the theft to the hotel/police immediately.
- Contact the Thompsons Holidays 24-hour care line to assist.
Out of season
We’re sorry! The holiday you’re looking for is not in season. Luckily, we have loads of other exciting options. Take a look!