Travel to Argentina to discover a country blessed with incredible natural beauty and a diverse range of landscapes. Its capital, Buenos Aires, is where the legendary Tango originated. The city is called ‘the Paris of the South’ and is Argentina’s cultural and financial centre, full of modern buildings, sumptuous palaces and tranquil parks. There’s also Mendoza, with its tree-lined avenues, glorious weather and incredible wine, which is close to the Andes Mountains, making it an ideal base for skiers, mountaineers and hikers.
Bariloche in the Lake District is a picture-perfect town with evergreen forests, deep blue lakes and carpets of wildflowers. Down south is Patagonia, home to magnificent glaciers and the most extensive collection of marine animals in the world, including seals, whales, penguins and sea elephants. At the country’s southernmost tip, one finds Tierra del Fuego, the gateway to Antarctica.
Why visit Argentina
- See the incomparably beautiful Iguazu Falls on its border.
- Argentina is an ideal holiday location year-round.
- The country’s natural beauty is indescribable.
- Unlike the rest of South America, it has a unique European influence.
- It boasts impressive Colonial architecture.
- The steak is as good as you’ve been led to believe.
- Its wildlife is quite extraordinary – see 4-eyed frogs in the rainforests around Iguazu, llamas in Patagonia and jaguars and pumas in the north.
- Its nightlife is legendary.
Argentina offers fascinating history and culture, music and dance, glorious food, and so many diverse experiences. Whether you’re planning to travel here for a family holiday or want to learn the Tango on honeymoon, your Argentina holiday will be unforgettable. Book a holiday package to Argentina with Thompsons Holidays, we go the extra mile for you.
Things to do in Argentina
Argentina is a melting pot of fascinating cultures, with an interesting history and some of the most exquisite natural beauty imaginable. In Argentina, you will find ever-changing glaciers, desolate deserts, soaring mountains, tropical jungles, beautiful beaches and active volcanoes. Best of all, this glorious country is a holiday haven all year round, with warm winters and stunning summer weather.
There are so many things to do and places to visit in Argentina, no matter what type of holiday you’re after. You can go horse riding, hiking, mountain climbing, diving, windsurfing, paragliding, skiing and rafting. You can also learn to dance the Tango, party till the wee hours, dine out on superb cuisine and sample stunning Argentinian wines.
Things to do in Argentina
- Enjoy a coffee at one of the coffee houses in Buenos Aires.
- Learn how to dance the Tango.
- Embark on a glacier expedition in Patagonia.
- Visit the incomparable Iguazu Falls.
- Go hiking from El Chalten, known as Argentina’s trekking capital.
- Enjoy wine tasting in Mendoza.
- Go skiing in Bariloche.
- Climb up Mount Fitz Roy in the Andes.
- Visit the Lighthouse at the End of the World from Ushuaia.
- Explore Moon Valley, home to fossils from the Triassic period.
- Enjoy whale watching in the Valdés Peninsula.
- Discover the Perito Merino Glacier up close.
Yes, Argentina is a vast country, and it offers a wide choice of holiday attractions and activities. No matter where you want to go, or what type of holiday you’re keen to experience, this beautiful country will delight and enthral. Bring the kids, get a group of friends together, go on a solo adventure or enjoy a romantic getaway… you can do all of this and much more with a holiday package to Argentina with Thompsons Holidays.
Know before you go...
- Argentina, like South Africa, is in the Southern Hemisphere.
- Summer: December to February; Autumn: March to May; Winter: June to August; Spring: September to November.
- Flight duration from Johannesburg to Buenos Aires: 14 hours, 40 minutes with a stopover in Sao Paulo.
- There are regular flights from South Africa to Argentina, depending on the airline chosen.
- South African passport holders do not require a visa to enter Argentina.
- Passports must be valid for 6 months after departure from Argentina.
- Argentina is 5 hours behind South Africa.
- The official currency is the Argentinian Peso (ARS).
- Credit cards are widely accepted and ATMs are prevalent.
- Tipping is common, preferably in cash.
- The official language is Spanish.
- English is not widely spoken. It’s a good idea to learn a few phrases in Spanish so that you can communicate easier.
- Roman Catholicism is practised by 77.4% of the population.
- When visiting sacred sites and temples, dress conservatively. (See ‘What to pack’).
- It is generally safe to drink tap water in Argentina. Bottled water is also readily available.
- Many public restrooms charge a small fee for use, so keep change on hand for this.
- Smoking is not permitted in public areas such as restaurants, bars and indoor work places as well as on public transport. Airports offer designated smoking rooms.
- Vaccinations are not currently required but check with your travel clinic before you go.
What must I pack?
- Lightweight clothing in summer, warm layerable clothing for winter, ski or beach wear depending on where you are going.
- Comfortable walking shoes.
- Sunscreen, lip balm, hat and sunglasses.
- Mini first aid kit and regular prescription medication.
- Hand sanitiser and insect repellent.
- Travel adaptor.
- Argentinian cities and towns have very good transport systems with trains, cars, taxis and subways.
- Towns in outlying areas may have less sophisticated transport infrastructure – it depends where you are going.
What can I do to be a responsible traveller?
- Wherever possible, buy local food and souvenirs and support local artisans.
- Instead of using plastic bags, take fabric shopping bags with you.
- Respect each other's cultures and customs and avoid imposing your beliefs.
- Be safety conscious: don’t display cash or valuables. Leave jewellery and expensive watches at home.
- Keep your belongings safe – use the hotel safe for passports and valuables and watch out for pickpockets and bag snatchers when out and about.
What do I do in an emergency?
- If passports or valuables are stolen, report the theft to the hotel/police immediately.
- Contact the Thompsons Holidays 24-hour care line to assist
Out of season
We’re sorry! The holiday you’re looking for is not in season. Luckily, we have loads of other exciting options. Take a look!