Stretched between Durban and Port Edward, the South Coast is a slice of paradise in KwaZulu-Natal, outlined by Indian Ocean beaches and a tropical heart of lush green vegetation. All along its inviting shores, you will find quaint holiday villages and South Coast beach resorts, from Amanzimtoti to Margate, and Port Shepstone to Port Edward.
Sunny and warm for most of the year, it’s no surprise that the region is a hotspot for family holidays – and with plenty of pet friendly accommodation South Coast holidays are perfect for families with fur-children too! The warm waters of the Indian Ocean and soft-sand beaches of the region invite surfers and sunbathers, while further away from the shore, scuba diving and deep sea fishing are on the menu for the more adventurous, while inland, there are plenty of South Coast hikes to keep you moving.
For slower-paced getaways, the South Coast is known for its excellent golf courses, interesting flora and fauna in its nature reserves, and incredible bird watching for avid twitchers. Of course, the annual sardine run in winter is a thrilling natural spectacle to witness and one of the top attractions in the South Coast.
South Coast activities and things to do
- Visit the area during June and July to catch the annual sardine run.
- Go diving at Aliwal Shoal near Amanzimtoti, one of the top 10 dive sites in the world!
- Head to Pennington Beach to play golf or head out to sea for some excellent diving and snorkelling around Rocky Bay.
- Get your coffee fix in Port Edward when you visit Beaver Creek Coffee Estate.
- Visit Southbroom for its unspoiled sandy beach and renowned Southbroom Golf Club.
- Explore the Frederika Nature Reserve, a lush, tropical paradise between the Mbizane and Kaba rivers.
Are you packing your bags yet? Browse our deals now or get in touch to book your preferred accommodation in South Coast, where the sun always shines!
Know before you go...
- The South Coast is a year-round destination.
- Summer (November to March) is peak season and can be very hot and humid. Expect crowds during this time, especially over the December school break.
- The best time to visit the South Coast for the sardine run is during winter, June and July.
- Flight duration from Johannesburg to Durban: approximately 1 hour.
- From Cape Town: 2 hours.
- Driving time from Johannesburg: 7 hours.
- You can hire a car in Durban and drive from there.
- You can also take a train or coach to Durban.
What must I pack?
- Lightweight clothing and beachwear for summer, layers for winter. Always pack a light raincoat for surprise downpours.
- Comfortable walking shoes, sandals.
- Sunscreen, lip balm, hat, swimsuits and sunglasses.
- Mini first aid kit and regular prescription medication.
- Hand sanitiser and insect repellent.
- Camera (or just use your phone).
What can I do to become a responsible traveller?
- Be water-wise. Be mindful and sparing with your water usage.
- Support the local economy. Buy local food, souvenirs and support local artisans where possible at markets and pop-up stalls.
- Be safety conscious: don’t display cash or valuables. Leave jewellery and expensive watches at home.
- Keep your belongings safe – use the hotel safe for valuables.
What do I do in an emergency?
- Contact the Thompsons Holidays 24-hour care line to assist in any travel related emergency.
Out of season
We’re sorry! The holiday you’re looking for is not in season. Luckily, we have loads of other exciting options. Take a look!