Jeffrey's Bay Holidays
A favourite with surfers and those who enjoy endless white sandy beaches, Jeffreys Bay is a laidback destination just 80km from Port Elizabeth in the Eastern Cape. The town is a delightful seaside resort that stretches from Cape Recife to Cape St Francis. Its beaches are renowned for their safe swimming and surfing waves found at various spots including Kitchen Windows, Albatross, Point, Super Tubes and Tubes.
Fishing is another popular activity in Jeffreys Bay. Plus, there are three small nature reserves in the vicinity that offer some great hiking trails, especially the 3km trail in Noorsekloof Nature Reserve. Calamari is excellent in this part of the Eastern Cape, and visitors enjoy sampling what is called ‘white gold’ in numerous seafood restaurants. There’s also plenty of handicrafts to purchase in charming little shops, some embellished with Jeffreys Bay scenes to remind you of an unforgettable holiday in this beautiful destination.
Why we love holidays in Jeffreys Bay
- Jeffreys Bay is a surfing mecca for local and international surfers.
- There’s so much to explore in the surrounding nature reserves.
- The beaches are breathtaking, with an abundance of beautiful shells.
- The weather is glorious all year round.
- It’s a laidback seaside resort with plenty of things to do and places to visit.
- You’ll never taste such delicious calamari anywhere else.
- You can enjoy whale watching in Jeffreys Bay from July to December.
J-Bay, as fans call this fabulous destination, is located in the Eastern Cape with endless sun, sea, surf and sand activities to enjoy. The town is home to the Jeffreys Bay Shell museum as well as a Surf Museum, both worth exploring. A holiday package in the Eastern Cape is one that you’ll never forget, especially exploring Jeffreys Bay’s famous attractions and numerous fun activities. We have fantastic options ranging from luxury to cheap JBay holiday packages.
Explore South Africa's other sleepy coastal towns with Thompsons Holidays. We've got Knysna holiday packages, Plettenberg Bay holiday packages, Hermanus holiday packages and Paternoster holiday packages.
Things to do in Jeffreys Bay
A relaxing holiday awaits you in Jeffreys Bay in the Eastern Cape. This unspoiled seaside town offers many things to do and places to visit for those who enjoy a slower pace during the summer months. Just 80km from Port Elizabeth, the bay is home to several endless beaches, some of which are world-renowned surfing locations.
Jeffreys Bay is small, which means that most of its attractions are within walking distance from your accommodation. An ideal location for families, Jeffreys Bay’s attractions include a waterpark where kids and adults alike can enjoy a wide range of activities.
Jeffreys Bay activities and attractions
- Sunbathe on beautiful beaches.
- Enjoy surfing, kitesurfing and stand up paddleboarding at Kitchen Windows.
- Watch expert surfers ride big waves at Supertubes.
- See dolphins frolicking in the waves from the beach.
- Go whale watching from June to December, when migrating whales swim close to the shore.
- Explore further afield to Addo Elephant Park or Tsitskimamma Nature Reserve.
- Explore the shops, cafés and bars in the town.
- Sample freshly caught calamari.
- Hike a scenic trail around Noorsekloof or Seekoei Nature Reserves.
- Enjoy horse riding over the sand dunes.
- Embark on a skydiving adventure.
Whether you’re visiting Jeffreys Bay to enjoy the sun, sea, surf and sand, or using this charming seaside resort as a base from which to explore the Garden Route, Jeffreys Bay is full of fun adventures and adrenaline-packed activities to suit every type of traveller.
Know before you go...
- The best time to visit the Jeffreys Bay is in the warmest months, December to March.
- The weather is pleasant year-round.
- Flight duration from Johannesburg to Port Elizabeth: 1 hour, 35 minutes.
- Drive time from PE to Jeffreys Bay: approximately one hour.
- You can get around Jeffreys Bay by foot, bicycle, scooter or car.
- Wherever possible, buy local food and souvenirs and support local artisans.
- Avoid single-use plastic; instead, take fabric shopping bags with you.
- Jeffreys Bay is considered a relatively safe destination to visit. Still, be safety conscious: don’t display cash or valuables. Leave jewellery and expensive watches at home.
- Keep your belongings safe – use the hotel safe for passports and valuables and watch out for pickpockets and bag snatchers when out and about.
- If passports or valuables are stolen, report the theft to the hotel/police immediately.
- Contact the Thompsons Holidays 24-hour care line to assist.
Out of season
We’re sorry! The holiday you’re looking for is not in season. Luckily, we have loads of other exciting options. Take a look!