New York Holidays
Regarded as one of the greatest cities in the world, New York offers endless shopping and dining opportunities, world-class entertainment, fabulous Broadway shows, amazing art galleries, magnificent museums and so much more. Visitors can enjoy a variety of sightseeing attractions that include the One World Observatory, Central Park, the Statue of Liberty, the Empire State Building and Brooklyn Bridge, the 9/11 Memorial and Rockefeller Centre. New York is a city that never sleeps so you’re sure to find something new and exciting to keep you enthralled every single day during your holiday.
Why visit New York
- It’s one of the most exciting and dynamic cities in the world.
- The city’s dining, theatre, entertainment and shopping options are unmatched.
- To see the buildings up close – no wonder everybody looks upwards when they visit NYC!
- Visit famous museums and legendary sights.
- Everything really is bigger and better in New York City!
- Hail one of those famous yellow taxis and take a ride on the subway and see how the locals live.
- See a performance of ballet, opera or music at the Lincoln Centre for Performing Arts.
- Shop till you drop.
Let’s not forget the fabulous food available all over the city, including little districts that are slices of other countries – Chinatown and Little Italy are very famous but there are plenty of other areas offering Irish, Mexican, Greek and many more cuisines. Dining out in New York is a world of discovery. Your only dilemma in this vibrant, exciting city is where to go next and what to do, because you’re not only spoilt for choice, the options are endless.
Things to do in New York
New York City offers infinite possibilities for an exciting holiday, no matter whether you’re travelling with family, are planning a solo adventure, booking a romantic getaway or wanting to enjoy the city’s delights with a group of friends. Aside from more restaurants and entertainment options than one could enjoy in a year, New York offers so many things to do and places to visit, it’s hard to narrow it down. Of course, it depends on what type of holiday you’re after – there are so many fascinating museums and art galleries, shopping options, journeys of discovery and dining on exotic cuisines, it’s hard to know where to start. Obviously, you have to see some of New York’s famous landmarks and enjoy those things that everybody likes to do on a holiday in the city…
Things to do in New York
- See your favourite icons up close at Madame Tussaud’s.
- Explore the city on a hop-on, hop-off bus tour.
- Take a 3-hour cruise around Manhattan Island.
- Enjoy a helicopter tour over The Big Apple.
- Spend a day exploring the city’s magnificent museums.
- Shop till you drop in a selection of famous department stores.
- Explore New York’s movie and TV show locations.
- Jog through Central Park.
- Visit the Statue of Liberty.
- Discover legendary Grand Central Station.
- Take in a Broadway show.
- Stroll through buzzing Times Square.
- Watch a basketball game at Madison Square Garden.
Spending time in New York is like being part of a movie, where the plot changes as you move from one enthralling location to the next. Each district has its own distinct personality and charm. Explore it all with Thompsons Holidays.
Know before you go...
- The best time to visit New York is out of season, in the spring (April to June) and autumn (September to early November).
- Summer (June to September) can be unbearably hot.
- Winter (December to March) can experience icy temperatures.
- Flight duration from Johannesburg to New York direct: 15 hours, 30 minutes.
- New York has an excellent transport system that includes the subway, buses, taxis, trains and cars.
- If passports or valuables are stolen, report the theft to the hotel/police immediately.
- Contact the Thompsons Holidays 24-hour care line to assist.
- Be safety conscious: don’t display cash or valuables. Leave jewellery and expensive watches at home.
- Keep your belongings safe – use the hotel safe for passports and valuables and watch out for pickpockets and bag snatchers when out and about.
- Wherever possible, buy local food and souvenirs and support local artisans.
- Instead of using plastic bags, take fabric shopping bags with you.
- Respect each other's cultures and customs and avoid imposing your beliefs.
- Depending on your travel dates, pack comfortable, lightweight clothing for summer.
- Winter in New York can be very cold, with snow, so be sure to pack appropriate jackets, boots and warm layers.
- You will do a lot of walking in New York – comfortable walking shoes are a must.
- Comfortable walking shoes.
- Sunscreen, lip balm, hat and sunglasses.
- Mini first aid kit and regular prescription medication.
- Hand sanitiser and insect repellent.
- Travel adaptor.
New York, USA - Sightseeing [2.7 MB]
Out of season
We’re sorry! The holiday you’re looking for is not in season. Luckily, we have loads of other exciting options. Take a look!