Las Vegas Trips
Las Vegas is the capital of glitz and glam, a vibrant city that is the centre of the world when it comes to gaming and entertainment. Life here is a never-ending string of fun and frenzy. It’s like living in the midst of a wild and wacky movie, where they’ve escalated the speed, the fantasy is full tilt and the action never stops.
Famous as a hub of decadence and delight, Vegas also has a luxury element, with some of the best restaurants in the world, plenty of glittering hotels and some excellent designer shopping in a series of exquisite mega malls. Aside from gambling, visitors here enjoy every possible type of entertainment imaginable, from theme parks and circuses to dining extravaganzas.
Why visit Las Vegas
- It’s The Entertainment Capital of the World.
- It’s home to many of the largest hotels and Casinos in the world.
- It’s ideal for all sorts of travellers – families, friends and couples.
- To see the incredible engineering feat, the Hoover Dam.
- To explore the legendary Grand Canyon.
- To shop till you drop.
- There are so many places to visit just outside the city including Red Rock Canyon, Lake Mead and Death Valley.
- It’s home to numerous exciting museums.
- To dine on cuisine prepared by some of the world’s top chefs.
Everything is bigger and better in Las Vegas, whether it’s the size of your hotel room, the enormous dishes served at restaurants or the amount of activities on offer. Las Vegas offers everything imaginable to enjoy from live shows, movies and numerous entertainment options to gaming in a choice of casinos, exploring on foot or further afield.
Whether you’re on holiday with the family, want an action-packed getaway with friends, or are looking for some R&R with your partner, Las Vegas is the place to visit for the trip of a lifetime. Immerse yourself in this fascinating city on a Thompsons Holidays travel package.
Things to do in Las Vegas
A holiday in Las Vegas is a fast-paced fiesta of 24/7 fun and excitement, with more entertainment offerings than you can enjoy in one visit. It’s a great choice for a blinged-up romantic getaway, fabulous for family fun and full of epic action for groups of friends.
Whatever you want to do on your holiday, Las Vegas will provide it. You can laze by the pool after partying the night away, play in the casino right after breakfast, shop till you drop in glittering shopping malls on The Strip, ogle the most extraordinary characters as they make their way to work or play and explore the legendary Grand Canyon and other major attractions. The fun never stops in Las Vegas, and the action is addictive. So why not give it a try?
Things to do in Las Vegas
- Go kayaking in the Black Canyon.
- Explore the Las Vegas Strip and soak up the sights.
- Try your luck at a choice of casinos.
- Discover Red Rock Canyon just 16km from Las Vegas.
- Watch the iconic Cirque du Soleil performance at The Bellagio.
- Enjoy a bird’s eye view of The Grand Canyon on a helicopter tour.
- Enjoy some retail therapy at the Strip’s modern malls.
- Party the night away at a nightclub.
- Dine on world-class cuisine.
- Paddle down the Colorado River and bird watch.
- Visit the Mob Museum to find out about the city’s Mob connections.
- Visit the city’s oldest casinos at Glitter Gulch.
- Soak in natural hot springs.
That is just a tiny selection of what is on offer when you come to Las Vegas on holiday. We can’t list all the exciting activities and places to visit – you’ll just have to discover them for yourself. Book your Las Vegas holiday package and start packing your bags for The Entertainment Capital of the World.
Know before you go...
- The best time to visit Las Vegas is out of season, in spring (March to May) and autumn (September to November).
- Summer (June to September) can be unbearably hot.
- Flight duration from Johannesburg to Las Vegas via Atlanta: 23 hours, 38 minutes.
- Johannesburg to Atlanta: 16 hours, 50 minutes.
- There are regular flights from South Africa to the USA. You can fly direct to many different cities.
- Las Vegas has an excellent transport system including monorail, buses, cars and taxis.
- The monorail is the most efficient way to get around the city.
- It is safe to drink tap water in Las Vegas, but bottled water is preferable and readily available.
- Many public restrooms charge a small fee for use, so keep change on hand for this.
- Smoking is not permitted in public areas such as restaurants, bars and indoor work places as well as on public transport. Airports offer designated smoking rooms.
- Vaccinations are not currently required but check with your travel clinic before you go.
- Lightweight clothing, with some layers for cooler evenings.
- If you plan to visit some casinos, be sure to check the dress-code beforehand and pack the appropriate attire. The same applies to high-end clubs and restaurants.
- Comfortable walking shoes.
- Sunscreen, lip balm, hat and sunglasses.
- Mini first aid kit and regular prescription medication.
- Hand sanitiser and insect repellent.
- Travel adaptor.
- Wherever possible, buy local food and souvenirs and support local artisans.
- Instead of using plastic bags, take fabric shopping bags with you.
- Respect each other's cultures and customs and avoid imposing your beliefs.
- Be safety conscious: don’t display cash or valuables. Leave jewellery and expensive watches at home.
- Keep your belongings safe – use the hotel safe for passports and valuables and watch out for pickpockets and bag snatchers when out and about.
- If passports or valuables are stolen, report the theft to the hotel/police immediately.
- Contact the Thompsons Holidays 24-hour care line to assist.
Out of season
We’re sorry! The holiday you’re looking for is not in season. Luckily, we have loads of other exciting options. Take a look!