Europe’s most romantic city, Paris epitomises style, elegance and charm – no wonder it’s such a popular destination for a honeymoon. Famous attractions abound on a trip to Paris, from the Eiffel Tower, which you can climb for panoramic views of the city below you, to the Champs Elysees, where you can enjoy a coffee in a sidewalk café, watching the stylish locals go about their day.
Paris, the capitol of France, is one of the most visited cities on earth. What other city has significant works of art from the likes of Cezanne, Monet and Renoir housed in a former train station? What other capital has been a source of inspiration for so many writers, artists and filmmakers? Haute couture is inspired by the City of Lights, as Paris is known and shopping for fashionable garments is as much an intrinsic part of this iconic city as the simple pleasure derived from sampling a crepe in the streets of Montmartre.
Why we love holidays in Paris
- To enjoy the city’s iconic café culture.
- It’s one of the best foodie destinations in the world, with over 70 Michelin-starred restaurants.
- There are so many museums and monuments to explore, including the world’s most visited museum, the Louvre.
- You can visit the catacombs, caverns and tunnels beneath the city.
- To relax in the most famous park in Paris, Jardin de Luxembourg.
- It’s a city full of art and history just waiting to be discovered.
- It’s the capital of fashion – nowhere else is quite as chic.
Paris is unique in every way, stylish, elegant, bustling and enchanting. A place to enjoy the best croissants you’ll ever taste, and great coffee and wine as refreshments in a sidewalk café. Let Thompsons Holidays take you on an adventure to romantic Paris for the time of your life. Browse our Paris holiday packages below.
Things to do in Paris
Paris holidays are all about enjoying life’s greatest pleasures… good food, good wine and some of the world’s most exquisite art and architecture. A trip to Paris is the chance to savour the finer things in life, including some of the world’s most exceptional culture, design and cuisine. Enjoy exquisite cuisine in a candlelit bistro, or a picnic on the banks of the Seine River.
Paris offers fabulous sights to see, things to do and places to visit. A romantic city that people travel to on honeymoon, or to propose, or to spend time with their chosen partner, Paris is so many things to so many people. Come and discover its magic for yourself.
Places to visit in Paris
- See the magnificent stained glass in Sainte Chapelle on the Ile de la Cité.
- Visit the Musée Rodin, dedicated to the works of the French sculptor Auguste Rodin.
- Enjoy the superb shopping in boutiques and Galeries Lafayette department store.
- Discover the charms of the Latin Quarter on the Left Bank where famous writers hung out in the 1920s in Saint Germain.
- Climb to the top of the Eiffel Tower for unbeatable views of the city.
- Explore the markets for antique lace, handblown glass and other treasures.
- View Leonardo da Vinci’s Mona Lisa up close in the Louvre.
- Visit Versailles outside Paris, one of the largest palaces in the world.
- Explore the winding lanes of Montmartre, home to the Basilica of the Sacred Heart.
This energetic, vivacious city is full of iconic attractions to see, pleasures to enjoy and activities to keep you busy. Come to see its landmarks, stay to enjoy its vibrant energy and age-old charm. Let Thompsons Holidays take you on an unforgettable trip to Paris. Browse our available Paris holiday packages and book now.
Know before you go...
- Paris is a popular year-round destination with long hot summers and cool winters.
- The best time to visit Paris is in Spring (April to June) and autumn (September to November).
- High season (summer) is June to August; winter is November to March.
- The flight duration from Johannesburg to Paris: 10 hours, 55 minutes.
- There are frequent flights to Paris from South Africa.
- South African passport holders require a Schengen visa to enter France.
- Passports should be valid for at least 3 months after travel and have blank pages.
- France is on Central European Time, one hour behind South Africa during the winter (November to March) and the same time as South Africa in the summer months (last Sunday in March to last Saturday in October).
- The official currency is the Euro (€ or EUR).
- Credit cards are widely accepted and ATMs are prevalent.
- Tipping is an accepted custom. Service charge is included in restaurants, but you can tip for good service.
- Food is expensive in Paris.
- French is the official language.
- English is spoken by many people.
- Catholicism is the main religion in France.
- People practice many religions in France, including Christianity, Buddhism, Islam, Hinduism and Judaism.
- It is generally safe to drink tap water in Paris, but bottled water is readily available.
- Vaccinations are not currently required, but do check with your travel clinic before you go.
What must I pack?
- With Paris' warm summers and cold, damp winters; pack according to the time of year you visit.
- Comfortable clothes and walking shoes.
- Sunscreen, lip balm, hat and sunglasses for summer holidays.
- Mini first aid kit and regular prescription medication.
- Hand sanitizer.
- Travel adaptor. The Europlug is a flat, two-pole, round-pin domestic AC power plug, rated for voltages up to 250 V and currents up to 2.5 A.
- Paris has an excellent transport system, including the subway, taxis and buses.
- The cheapest way to get around Paris is the Velib, the city’s large-scale bicycle sharing system.
What can I do to be a responsible traveller?
- Wherever possible, buy local food and souvenirs and support local artisans.
- Avoid single-use plastic; rather take fabric shopping bags with you and use refillable water bottles (when local drinking water is available).
- Respect each other's cultures and customs and avoid imposing your beliefs.
- Always have a map (or app) on hand, especially when travelling at night.
- Be safety conscious: don’t display cash or valuables. Leave jewellery and expensive watches at home.
- Keep your belongings safe – use the hotel safe for passports and valuables.
What do I do in an emergency?
- Contact the Thompsons Holidays 24-hour care line to assist.
Out of season
We’re sorry! The holiday you’re looking for is not in season. Luckily, we have loads of other exciting options. Take a look!