Australia’s cultural and sporting capital, also the capital of Victoria, Melbourne is a relaxed, trendy city famous for its coffee shops where you can sip great coffee and enjoy superb cakes and pastries. Art, theatre, music, literature and fabulous food make Melbourne a delight to visit.
Melbourne also boasts a thriving food scene, excellent bars, historic buildings and trendy neighbourhoods. A city that expanded in the time of the Gold Rush, Melbourne’s history is inspiring and its reputation as one of the world’s most livable cities makes it a great choice for a holiday package in Australia.
What we love about Melbourne
- The coffee is excellent and served in a variety of boutique coffee shops.
- It's home to exciting international sports tournaments including the Australian Open, Melbourne Formula 1 Grand Prix and more.
- Its lanes and alleys are full of colourful street art, hidden bars and cafes.
- You can experience four seasons in one day – the weather is constantly changing.
- It's a great destination for bargain hunters, especially in bustling Queen Victoria markets.
- Melbourne has its fair share of gorgeous beaches.
- It's easy to get around using public transport, including old-fashioned trams.
- You can see an abundance of wildlife in Phillip Island National Park.
- Explore the spectacular Great Ocean Road to see spectacular limestone cliffs.
The city’s unique personality sets it apart from other Australian cities. With its world-class dining, great sports venues, excellent shopping, live music, rooftop bars, lanes, markets and street art, it’s a creative city to visit with many treasures. Choose to enjoy the city’s bustling activities or escape for a relaxing break a little out of town in the Mornington Peninsula, on the Yarra River or Mount Buller and Mount Hotham… There’s something for everyone to enjoy on a 2024 Thompsons Holiday in Melbourne.
Things to do in Melbourne Australia
Travel to Melbourne to discover a dynamic city that is famous for its diversity, innovative restaurants, superb street art, excellent coffee, and varied cultural activities. Melbourne has everything required for a perfect holiday package – style, sport, architecture, music, wineries, boutiques, culture and entertainment.
Melbourne, which has a distinctively European feel, is famous for its live music scene, beautiful Botanic Gardens where joggers and local walkers come to relax, historic sights, bustling markets and charming historic buildings. Federation Square is a great place to start sightseeing, with a variety of Australian art on display in the Ian Potter Centre and the Australian Centre for the Moving Image. Find out about Melbourne’s sports history at the National Sports Museum and the Australian Gallery of Sport, while Southbank Promenade on the banks of the Yarra River offers live entertainment, outdoor cafes plus theatre and music performances in the Arts Centre.
What to do in Melbourne:
- Take a day trip to the Mornington Peninsula to ride horses, visit a lavender farm and enjoy the Peninsula Hot Springs.
- See the Penguin Parade at Phillip Island National Park.
- Go hiking, bird watching or cycling in the Dandenong Ranges on the outskirts of the city.
- Explore some of the 100 inspiring art galleries in the city.
- Ride on a century-old rollercoaster in Luna Park.
- Cruise along the Yarra River for breathtaking views and to familiarise yourself with the city.
- Enjoy a beach break on a choice of beautiful beaches.
- Watch a game at Melbourne Cricket Ground.
- See a movie under the stars from an open-air rooftop cinema.
- Sample a hot doughnut while scouring Queen Victoria Night Market on a Wednesday.
- Discover innovative public sculptures around the city.
- Enjoy a variety of entertainment in Melbourne’s iconic Southbank.
Wherever you go in Melbourne, you will find plenty to keep you busy, from a boisterous nightlife to a variety of shopping opportunities and plenty of sports activities and events. With so many exciting things to do, you will be spoilt for choice. Thompsons Holidays can take you to see Melbourne’s attractions with an affordable holiday package. Start browsing today.
Know before you go...
What must I pack?
- Depending on when you visit Melbourne, lightweight clothing for summer, warm clothing for winter, rain gear and beachwear. Choose items that can be layered, as it's typical to experience four seasons in one day.
- Comfortable walking shoes.
- Sunscreen, lip balm, hat and sunglasses for summer holidays.
- Mini first aid kit and regular prescription medication.
- Hand sanitiser and insect repellent.
- Travel adaptor.
- Melbourne has an excellent transport system, including trains, trams and buses.
What can I do to be a responsible traveller?
- Support the local economy.
- Be mindful of your impact on the environment.
- Respect each other's cultures and customs.
- Always have a map (or app) on hand, especially when travelling at night.
- Be safety conscious: don’t display cash or valuables. Leave jewellery and expensive watches at home.
- Keep your belongings safe – use the hotel safe for passports and valuables.
What do I do in an emergency?
- Contact the Thompsons Holidays 24-hour care line to assist.
Out of season
We’re sorry! The holiday you’re looking for is not in season. Luckily, we have loads of other exciting options. Take a look!