Why book a Langebaan holiday
Just over an hour’s drive from Cape Town, an adventurous seaside town begs to be explored. Those who have spent time in this region in the Western Cape will tell you that the West Coast – with its azure seas, fynbos-covered hills and quaint fishing villages – is blessed with some of the best holiday places. In Langebaan, surrounded by gorgeous coastal scenery, exciting water sports and a host of family-friendly attractions, it’s easy to see why the slow-paced West Coast is such a magnet for families, friends and romance-seekers.
Take your pick of Langebaan accommodation, from self-catering places to accommodation on the beach, and gear up for adventure. Langebaan is famous for water sports. The lagoon at the heart of the town is a playground for kitesurfing, windsurfing, kayaking, yachting, water skiing and fishing. The safe swimming waters are great for the little ones too! Just outside of town, there’s game viewing, bird watching, hiking, biking and horse riding on the menu. If you prefer a slower pace, the town has no shortage of restaurants, shops and galleries to peruse before cooking up a seafood feast and toasting the West Coast sunset at your Langebaan self-catering accommodation.
- Explore the scenic West Coast National Park to view the “Slow Five” – tortoises, whales, sand sharks, porcupines and dune mole rats. If you visit the Postberg section of the park during spring, you’ll be rewarded with stunning views of the area’s famous wildflowers. You can also see eland, wildebeest, hartebeest, bontebok, springbok, kudu and mountain zebra.
- Go bird watching to spot greater and lesser flamingos and the world’s largest breeding colony of black harriers around the tidal mud flats of the lagoon, or seek out Cape gannets, Cape cormorants and kelp gulls in the wetlands around the Schaapen, Marcus, Malgas and Jutten islands.
- Visit Eve’s Footprint, which is believed to be the oldest known fossilised footprint of a modern human. Just out of town, there are more fossils waiting to be discovered at the West Coast Fossil Park, home to fascinating fossils of bears, sabre-tooth cats and short-necked giraffes.
- For entertainment of all kinds, including a spa and casino, head straight to Club Mykonos Resort.
- If you are a golfer, you will enjoy teeing off at Langebaan Country Estate.
Know before you go...
- The region enjoys a Mediterranean climate with hot, dry summers and cold, rainy winters.
- You can visit Langebaan on the West Coast any time of the year. Summer is popular, but winter can be a magical time to holiday along the coast and to take advantage of all the seasonal specials.
- If you’re hoping to see the region’s famous wildflowers, visit over August and September.
- The most direct way to get from Cape Town to Langebaan is to drive via the R27 coastal highway.
What must I pack?
- The summers along the West Coast are very hot and dry, and even though the Atlantic Ocean is considered by many to be too cold to swim in, you’ll want to bring your swimsuit for a refreshing dip here and there!
- Even in summer, the weather can be unpredictable, so always keep a light windbreaker on hand.
- Winters get very cold (and wet). Be sure to pack the appropriate clothing.
- Don’t forget sunscreen, lip balm, hat and sunglasses for summer holidays.
- Always travel with a mini first aid kit and regular prescription medication.
- Hand sanitiser and insect repellent.
- Your camera (or just use your phone).
What can I do to become a responsible traveler?
- Be water-wise. The West Coast is a water-scarce region. Be mindful and sparing with your water usage.
- Support the local economy. Buy local food, souvenirs and support local artisans where possible at markets and pop-up stalls.
- Be safety conscious: don’t display cash or valuables. Leave jewellery and expensive watches at home.
- Keep your belongings safe – use the hotel safe for valuables.
What do I do in an emergency?
- Contact the Thompsons Holidays 24-hour care line to assist in any travel related emergency.
Out of season
We’re sorry! The holiday you’re looking for is not in season. Luckily, we have loads of other exciting options. Take a look!