Madikwe Game Reserve Holidays
South Africa’s fifth-largest game reserve, Madikwe is a best-kept secret. Located near to the border with Botswana in the North West province, Madikwe Game Reserve is a malaria-free safari destination, home to an abundance of wildlife, including the Big 5. Here, you can expect thrilling sightings of elephants, lions, leopards, and rhinos plus wild dogs and around 300 species of birds. Animals often gather to drink at the Madikwe Dam at sunset, so it has become a popular game viewing location.
The vast open plains of woodlands and grasslands are divided by the historic Mafikeng Road, once traversed by traders, explorers, hunters, and missionaries.
Why go on safari in the Madikwe Game Reserve
- View the Big 5 and endangered African Wild Dog in their natural habitat.
- Enjoy guided bush and nature walks.
- Stay in luxury lodges with superb accommodation and facilities.
- Enjoy spa treatments at your bush lodge.
- Visit the famous Sun City Resort en route to Madikwe.
- Enjoy excellent bird watching in the summer months.
There are numerous luxury lodges in Madikwe, making it a fabulous safari holiday destination for the whole family as well as for friends wanting an outdoor break and couples looking for a secluded getaway. Madikwe Game Reserve ticks all the boxes for the ultimate wildlife holiday.
Madikwe Game Reserve offers a range of activities perfect for those in need of a romantic getaway, family getaway or simply just a bush break. With breathtaking landscapes and a range of wildlife, birdlife and plant life, you'll time in the Madikwe Game Reserve promises to be adventure-packed and worthwhile.
Things to do in the Madikwe Game Reserve:
- Spot the Big Five on game drives
- Be amazed by over 300 species of birdlife on game drives
- Enjoy breakfast with a view in the bush
- Experience a night drive through the African bush
- Meet local communities and learn about their culture and traditions.
- Let your kids enjoy a Kiddies Game Drive where rangers will teach them about the different animals and plants
- Take a stroll along the river
- Witness the beauty of the solar system by stargazing in the bush
- Take a dip in the swimming pools which are in perfect view for both game viewing and bird watching
- Experience a guided walking safari
- Rejuvenate your senses at the spa
It's time for you to get up-close and one with nature. Contact us about your Madikwe Game Reserve Holiday package now.
Know before you go...
- The game reserve can be visited all year round, as animals do not migrate here.
- However, the best time for game viewing in the Madikwe Game Reserve in North West province is in the dry winter months, May to August, when it is easier to spot wildlife in the sparse bush.
- Madikwe Game Reserve is situated some 90 kilometres north of the town of Zeerust, on the Botswana border near to the Kalahari Desert.
- Safari Lodges are mostly located around the eastern and western gate, roughly 4.5 hours’ drive from Johannesburg/Pretoria.
- Madikwe Game Reserve has a combination of gravel and tar roads. Final access to the lodges within the park is via gravel roads. Please note that the conditions of these roads vary depending on the season and the weather. Most smaller vehicles with a higher ground clearance will be able to make their way around the reserve.
What must I pack?
- Light, cotton (breathable) clothing for summer and warm layers for winter in neutral tones.
- Lightweight waterproof jacket.
- Sturdy walking shoes for guided bush walks.
- Sunscreen, lip balm, hat, swimsuits and sunglasses.
- Binoculars and a small torch.
- Mini first aid kit and regular prescription medication. Don’t forget your malaria medication.
- Hand sanitiser and insect repellent.
What can I do to be a responsible traveller?
- Always give the animals the right of way.
- Do not feed animals in rest camps or the greater park.
- When visiting local communities, respect each other's cultures and customs.
- Always support local artisans.
- Follow all the Park rules and always drive slowly.
- Stay in your vehicle at all times. Do not approach any animals.
Out of season
We’re sorry! The holiday you’re looking for is not in season. Luckily, we have loads of other exciting options. Take a look!