Mauritius Waves - surf, sand and sunsets
As we all know, Mauritius is truly an island paradise in the Indian Ocean; it is well known for its balmy weather, crystal clear waters and being a relaxing island destination. What is less known about Mauritius is that it is also a top spot for surfing! The warm climate, beautiful beaches and great surf spots make Mauritius a surfer's paradise.
You’ll find that while the calm lagoon waters are perfect for snorkeling, SUP boarding, swimming and kayaking, if you float out a bit further beyond the beautiful reef you’ll find a surfer’s paradise.
There are many great surf spots around Mauritius, but some of the best include:
Le Morne Beach is a great surfing destination. The beach is located on the southwest coast of Mauritius, and the waves here are some of the best in the country. The scenery at Le Morne is stunning, with beautiful white sand beaches and dramatic basaltic rock cliffs as a backdrop. There are also plenty of restaurants and bars in the area, making it a great place to relax after a day of surfing.
Just a short drive from Flic en Flac Beach is Tamarin Bay. This beautiful bay is well-known for its surfing and is a popular spot for both locals and tourists alike. The waves here are some of the best in Mauritius and offer good conditions for both beginners and experienced surfers. The scenery around Tamarin Bay is simply breathtaking, with its rocky cliffs, lush vegetation and clear blue waters.
Rivière des Galets is one of the best surfing spots in Mauritius. It is located on the south coast of the island, near the town of Bel Ombre, which is generally known for having some of the best surf spots. The surf here is good all year round, with consistent waves and plenty of reef breaks. The scenery is stunning, with white sand beaches and clear blue water. There are also a few surf schools in the area, so it's a great place to learn to surf.
Mauritius is a beautiful island destination that offers great surfing opportunities.
Here are some tips to keep in mind when planning your Mauritius surfing holiday:
- Choose the right time of year to visit Mauritius. The best surf conditions are typically found between May and September.
- Make sure to pack your wetsuit and all the necessary gear including your own surfboard. While there are places to rent a surfboard they tend to be very busy and you might miss out on the opportunity to secure a board.
- Be aware of the Mauritius tide schedule and plan your surfing sessions accordingly.
- respect the Mauritius surf breaks and take care not to drop in on other surfers.
- If you want more space on the waves try surf early in the week and avoid the crowded weekends.
If you're looking for a challenge, Mauritius is the place to be. With its perfect waves and stunning beaches, Mauritius is a surfer's paradise. So, what are you waiting for? Grab your board and head to the island! Browse our fantastic Mauritius holiday packages and take the whole family.