Wadi Rum Travel
Wadi Rum in Jordan is a dramatic red-rock desert valley, known as the ‘Valley of the Moon’. The setting is so much like a moonscape that it’s no wonder the location has been used for a number of science fiction movies.
Wadi Rum is home to numerous Bedouin tribes who live and work in the desert and offer tented camps where you can spend a night or two. Hiking is the general pastime here, including walking along the recently created Jordan Trail, a trek encompassing the entire country that has been broken down into short routes, one of which includes Wadi Rum.
Why visit Wadi Rum on a desert tour
- Experiencing a slice of authentic Bedouin desert life is a bucket list experience.
- Explore this surreal, remote desert area and marvel at the way the sand changes colour from red to yellow.
- It’s one of the world’s most impressive desert landscapes and a place to truly unplug and get away from it all.
The best way to visit the Wadi Rum desert is by 4x4 vehicle, to explore all the locations where films such as Aladdin and Star Wars: Rogue One were made. With its rugged landscape, burnt orange sand and isolated location, Wadi Rum is one of those places you have to visit at least once in a lifetime. Savour the silence, isolation and magic of this special place on a Wadi Rum tour organised for you by Thompsons Holidays.
Things to do in Wadi Rum desert
Explore the famous desert landscapes of Wadi Rum and enjoy the magnificent blanket of stars that this beautiful desert provides every night. An exciting journey for the adventurous traveller, Wadi Rum desert tours in Jordan offer numerous possibilities and things to do for an exciting holiday, including a camel safari or a desert safari in a Jeep, as well as several hiking tours.
Things to do on tour in Wadi Rum
- Spend a night in a Bedouin camp and enjoy a delicious authentic meal under the stars.
- Enjoy a camel ride – camels are called the ships of the desert for a good reason!
- Explore the train station used in the filming of the movie Lawrence of Arabia.
- See ancient petroglyphs (carvings) that have stood the test of time.
- See the sunset in Wadi Rum – it’s quite spectacular.
- Take a hiking trail through Wadi Rum.
- Climb up to Burdah Rock Ridge for spectacular views of the desert below.
- Explore the Museum of Wadi Rum to learn all about desert life.
- See inscriptions on the rock walls of Khazali Canyon.
- Enjoy rock climbing in Barrah Canyon.
- Experience a hot air balloon ride over the desert at dawn.
Also known as the ‘Valley of the Moon’, Jordan’s Wadi Rum desert is a delight to explore. See its towering mountains, mysterious canyons and desert dunes, vast open plains and surreal landscapes for yourself on a Wadi Rum travel package from Thompsons Holidays.
Know before you go...
- The best time to visit Wadi Rum is in the spring (March to May) and autumn (September to November).
- In summer, June to September, temperatures hover around the late thirties, early forties. It can be unbearably hot in the desert at this time.
- Flight duration from Johannesburg to Amman: 10 hours, 15 minutes with a stopover in Cairo.
- From Amman, you take a bus or taxi to Wadi Rum. Duration: 3 hours.
- Make sure you have a hat or headscarf to protect you from the harsh sun, wind and sand.
- Pack lightweight clothing that can cover as much skin as possible, for protection from the elements – and respect the local customs.
- Comfortable walking shoes.
- Sunscreen, lip balm, hat and sunglasses.
- Mini first aid kit and regular prescription medication.
- Hand sanitiser and insect repellent.
- Travel adaptor.
Out of season
We’re sorry! The holiday you’re looking for is not in season. Luckily, we have loads of other exciting options. Take a look!