Walvis Bay Holidays
Located on the west coast of Namibia, Walvis Bay (the ‘Bay of Whales’) is the country’s main harbour town, popular with tourists who come to sail the lagoon or see its incredible birdlife, including pelicans and flamingoes. Water sports enthusiasts also enjoy numerous activities on the lagoon, including board sailing, windsurfing, kite surfing and kayaking.
Walvis Bay is often used as a base from which to explore the fascinating surrounding area, including the wetland region of Sandwich Harbour south of the city and Dune 7, the highest dune in the area and the entrance to the Namib Desert.
Reasons to visit Walvis Bay
- Cruise Walvis Bay Lagoon to see dolphins and seals.
- Go dune bashing in Sandwich Harbour.
- Travel offroad to the tip of Pelican Point Peninsula.
- Explore the Namib Desert to see its moon landscape.
- See the rare Welwitschia plant that grows in the desert.
- Enjoy quadbiking in the desert.
- See indigenous wildlife in the dunes at Sandwich Harbour.
- Enjoy whale watching on the Walvis Bay coast.
- Try sandboarding on Dune 7.
- Explore the seaside resort of Swakopmund, just 30km away.
- Discover the huge salt fields around the city.
- Enjoy deep sea fishing.
Water sports abound in Walvis Bay, and you can also laze on gorgeous beaches in the seaside resort of Swakopmund close by. Adventure sports enthusiasts enjoy testing their skills skydiving, sandboarding and dune bashing, and families love it because of the incredible birdlife and fabulous food. Whether you’re using Walvis Bay as a base from which to explore desert and dunes, or have come to enjoy the nature, you’re in for a treat. Thompsons Holidays can arrange your Walvis Bay holiday package for you, so give us a call right away.
Know before you go...
- The best time to visit Walvis Bay is in the summer, December to February.
- Flight duration from Johannesburg to Walvis Bay, Namibia: 2 hours, 15 minutes.
- Drive time from Cape Town to Walvis Bay via N7 and B1: 16 hours, 55 minutes.
- Lightweight clothing for summer. The nights along the Atlantic coast can be cold; be sure to pack a jacket and items that can be layered.
- Comfortable walking shoes, sandals, slip slops.
- Sunscreen, lip balm, hat, swimsuits and sunglasses.
- Mini first aid kit and regular prescription medication.
- Hand sanitiser and insect repellent.
- Travel adaptor.
- Wherever possible, buy local food and souvenirs and support local artisans.
- Avoid single-use plastic; rather take fabric shopping bags with you.
- Respect each other's cultures and customs and avoid imposing your beliefs.
- Be safety conscious: don’t display cash or valuables. Leave jewellery and expensive watches at home.
- Keep your belongings safe – use the hotel safe for passports and valuables and watch out for pickpockets and bag snatchers when out and about.
- If passports or valuables are stolen, report the theft to the hotel/police immediately.
- Contact the Thompsons Holidays 24-hour care line to assist.
Out of season
We’re sorry! The holiday you’re looking for is not in season. Luckily, we have loads of other exciting options. Take a look!