Explore Sossusvlei, Namibia
Part of Namibia’s largest conservation area, the Namib-Naukluft National Park is home to one of the country’s most famous attractions, Sossuvlei, home to some of the oldest and highest sand dunes in the world. Located in the southern part of Namibia, it offers visitors a chance to climb those legendary dunes, including Dune 45, with its unusual shape and ever-changing colours, and Big Daddy, the tallest dune of all. Another famous Sossusvlei attraction is the iconic Sesriem Canyon with its peculiar rock formations and Deadvlei, a striking white pan dotted with petrified trees, one of the most photographed tourist attractions in Namibia.
Why tour Sossusvlei
- Marvel at the otherworldly natural beauty of the area.
- See one of the oldest landscapes on earth.
- Discover the animals and plants that have adapted to this unforgiving environment.
- See the legendary fairy circles, peculiar ringed patches of grass in the desert.
- View the skeletons of trees that are thousands of years old.
Natural wonders that are quite extraordinary await you on a trip to spectacular Sossusvlei. Whether you’re planning to explore, enjoy some adventure activities, or go on safari, Sossuvlei will delight and enthral. Discover this unique corner of Africa with a Thompsons Holidays Sossusvlei package.
From climbing to the top of beautiful, warm red dunes to seeing it's beauty from above on a hot air balloon ride... Sossusvlei is filled with wonderful attractions that will excite you and leave you mesmerized by its natural beauty.
Things to do in Sossusvlei
- Soar the Namib Sky in a hot air balloon
- Take photographs in Deadvlei with its black trees and stark white pans
- See one of the oldest landscapes on earth
- Gaze at the incredible galaxy of stars at night
- Watch the sunrise over the vlei from the top of Dune 45
- Trek to the top of the tallest dune in the Sossusvlei area, Big Daddy
- Take a walk through Sesriem Canyon and discover the beautiful rock formations
Adventure awaits you in Sossusvlei and we have the packages to take you there. Contact Thompsons Holidays now.
Know before you go...
- The best time to visit Sossusvlei is in the cooler months, between July and October.
- If you are planning to combine your Sossusvlei tour with a safari in the Etosha National Park, this is also the best time for game viewing.
- It is extremely hot in the summer season, October to February.
- Visiting the dunes themselves is best in the early morning or late afternoon when the angle of the sun offers the best light for taking photos.
- Flight duration from Johannesburg to Windhoek, Namibia: 2 hours.
- You will either fly or drive from Windhoek to Sossusvlei.
- Transport within Namibia is by vehicle.
What must I pack?
- Pack lightweight clothing that covers as much skin as you can to protect yourself from the scorching desert sun.
- The nights along the Atlantic coast can be cold; be sure to pack a jacket and items that can be layered.
- Comfortable walking shoes. If you are hiking a dune, the sand can become scorching hot. Don’t climb barefoot or in flip flops.
- Sunscreen, lip balm, hat and sunglasses are a must.
What can I do to be a responsible traveller?
- Water is extremely scarce in Namibia, so be mindful of your water usage during your stay.
- Most dune life at Sossusvlei lives within 10cm of the surface, so be cautious of where you walk and never veer off the trail. The same is said for the nearby fragile lichen fields, which take decades to grow back if damaged.
- Always carry water with you and stay hydrated. Protect your eyes, head and skin from the sun.
- Always listen to your guide and do not wander off on your own.
What to do in an emergency?
- Contact the Thompsons Holidays 24-hour care line to assist.
Out of season
We’re sorry! The holiday you’re looking for is not in season. Luckily, we have loads of other exciting options. Take a look!