Ras Al Khaimah
Ras Al Khaimah is the new adventure capital of the Middle East with loads of activities for all ages. One of the 7 Emirates of the UAE, Ras Al Khaimah is a fascinating mix of undisturbed nature and twenty first century high rise buildings. Ras Al Khaimah is also the name of the capital which is divided by a creek - the old city on the west side and Al Nakeel in the east.
The big question however is how do we get there. Simple. Daily flights are into Dubai followed by a 45-minute road transfer to your hotel.
On arrival you will find luxury hotels, long sandy beaches, fine dining with cuisine from around the world and excellent shopping. The biggest attractions are however outdoors and range from ancient forts and thrilling desert adventures to the Jais Flight - the world's longest zipline. Then there are hot air balloon rides and microlight flights. The fun simply never stops and you can end your day with dinner under the stars in the desert.
Why visit Ras Al Khaimah
- Easy access via Dubai with many daily flights.
- Cultural inspiration in museums and historic buildings.
- Thrilling adventure activities for all ages.
- Luxury hotels with full facilities and top spas.
- Desert and water-based sports.
- Fine dining - even in the desert under the stars.
- Visit nearby Abu Dhabi for the Grand Prix and other experiences including Ferrari World.
- Top up on last minute shopping before your flight departs from Dubai.
Things to Do
- Tour an ancient pearl fishing village, fort, museum and mosque, built on the site of an earlier mosque dating back to the 16th Century.
- Desert experiences include 4X4 dune bashing, quad biking and sandboarding followed by dinner around a crackling fire under the starlit
- Soar across jagged mountain peaks and swoop through deep ravines at speeds of up to 150kph on this hair-raising flight. At 2.83kms this is the longest zipline in the world.
- The Jais Sledder is made for two and reaches speeds of up to 40kph over nearly 2kms as you hurtle down the Hajar Mountain range with glorious views of the spectacular coastline.
- The Jais Sky Tour takes only the steely-nerved through a succession of 6 zip lines through rugged mountain terrain.
- Discover a new sense of adventure 10m above the ground as you navigate obstacles, wiggly bridges and rope loops on the Bear Grylls inspired Ropes Course.
- Head for the unique Bear Grylls Explorer Camp to learn essential life and survival skills.
- Go to the camel races, take a hike on the mountain trails or visit the Bassata Bedouin Desert Camp
- A new experience is to camp in the desert with 'Beyond Action Adventures'
- Join an equestrian adventure in the desert, play a round of golf or build up a sweat on the jogging track on the panoramic corniche.
- Take to the skies over the desert and the sea with a breathtaking microlight or balloon flight.
We are all conscious of recycling and improving our carbon footprint so it is reassuring that The Ras Al Khaimah Tourism Development Authority has a strategy to see this nature-based Emirate become the regional leader in environmentally conscious tourism by 2025. With daily flights into Dubai and a pleasant road journey to Ras Al Khaimah, this 'Northern Emirate' welcomes you for a relaxed holiday of fun activities and discovery. Call a friendly consultant at Thompsons Holidays for more information on holiday packages to Ras Al Khaimah which is not just a place - it's a journey!