Namibia’s capital city has a distinct German influence, a harmonious blend of European and African culture. It’s a bustling place and an excellent gateway to the rest of this vast desolate, beautiful country, which is one of Africa’s most enigmatic and exciting destinations.
There’s plenty to explore in this historic city including Heroes’ Acre and the old fortress Alte Fest, one of Windhoek’s oldest buildings and now a museum. There are also other fascinating museums to discover, superb restaurants where you can sample traditional Namibian delights washed down with the country’s legendary beer, Windhoek Lager.
Reasons to visit Windhoek
- Enjoy a picnic in Zoo Park, home to the city’s landmark, Schutztruppe Memorial.
- Hike the Hofmeyer trail through spectacular Klein-Windhoek Valley.
- See Windhoek’s iconic German-inspired architecture.
- Explore the township area of Katutura on a bicycle tour.
- Visit Christ Church, one of the oldest in the country, built in 1910.
- Discover the old Brewery Complex, Windhoek’s first brewery and now a thriving food, art and entertainment centre.
- Go on safari 18km from the city, in the Daan Viljoen Game Park.
- Eee Heroe’s Acre that honours Namibian independence.
- Enjoy birdwatching in Avis Dam Nature Reserve.
- Shop for treasures in the city’s many street markets.
- Discover 33 Gibeon Meteorites at Post Street Mall.
- Go horseback riding through the wilderness on the city’s outskirts.
Spending time in Windhoek will give you an excellent insight into this fascinating country, much of which is desolate and untouched. You can meet the locals and understand their culture and traditions before exploring further afield on your bucket list experience. This will add to your understanding of this unspoiled destination. Thompsons Holidays can take you to Windhoek on an unforgettable holiday package, so give us a call to book your bucket list adventure.
Know before you go...
- The best time to visit Windhoek is in the cooler season, between July & October.
- This is also the best time for game viewing, when temperatures average 20°C.
- It is extremely hot in the summer season, October to February.
- Flight duration from Johannesburg to Windhoek, Namibia: 2 hours. You will either fly on from there to your destination or be driven.
- Transport within Namibia is by car.
- Lightweight clothing for summer, layers for cooler days & nights.
- Comfortable walking shoes.
- Sunscreen, lip balm, hat, swimsuits and sunglasses.
- Mini first aid kit and regular prescription medication.
- Hand sanitiser and insect repellent.
- Travel adaptor.
- Wherever possible, buy local food and souvenirs and support local artisans.
- Avoid single-use plastic; rather take fabric shopping bags with you.
- Respect each other's cultures and customs and avoid imposing your beliefs.
- Be safety conscious: don’t display cash or valuables. Leave jewellery and expensive watches at home.
- Keep your belongings safe – use the hotel safe for passports and valuables and watch out for pickpockets and bag snatchers when out and about.
- If passports or valuables are stolen, report the theft to the hotel/police immediately.
- Contact the Thompsons Holidays 24-hour care line to assist
Out of season
We’re sorry! The holiday you’re looking for is not in season. Luckily, we have loads of other exciting options. Take a look!