Rio de Janeiro, Brazil Holidays
Rio de Janeiro literally welcomes its visitors with open arms – the enormous statue of Christ the Redeemer stands open-armed on Corcovado Mountain overlooking the city below, which stretches along the golden shores of famous Copacabana and Ipanema Beaches. At night these areas pulsate, as does nearby Barra da Tijuca, known as Rio’s ‘Miami’ with its gorgeous beaches and upmarket offerings.
Copacabana Avenue, Ipanema and Visconde de Piraja offer lots of boutiques, art galleries and stores as well as shopping malls for great retail therapy, dining and entertainment options. There’s also Leblon and Lagoa to explore. Rio offers spectacular mountains to climb, lush forests to explore, beautiful beaches and a variety of fun watersports to keep you busy.
Why travel to Rio de Janeiro
- Experience Rio’s carnival atmosphere, especially during the legendary Rio Carnival.
- See the famous Christ the Redeemer statue, the largest Art Deco statue in the world.
- Sunbathe on a variety of glorious golden beaches.
- Experience Brazilian culture and nightlife at its best.
- Explore one of the world’s largest urban forests, Floresta da Tijuca.
- It’s home to famous Sugar Loaf Mountain.
Sun-drenched and vibrant, with plenty of superb beaches, excellent food, history, culture and shopping, Rio is a lively, beautiful city in Brazil. In Rio de Janeiro, every day is an adventure and every night there’s a party. Whether you’re learning about history in its museums or visiting the modern port area of Olympic Boulevard, Rio has so much to offer. Let Thompsons Holidays create an unforgettable Rio de Janeiro holiday package in 2024 especially for you.
Things to do in Rio de Janiero
A bustling modern city fringed by golden Copacabana and Ipanema Beaches, Rio de Janeiro is fabulous, feisty, fun and scenically beautiful. Life in Rio is all about enjoying the superb weather and soaking up the ever-present sunshine, learning to dance the Samba, savouring superb food and doing what makes you happy.
You’ll never be bored in Rio – there are so many activities to enjoy, from water sports on the beaches to exploring art galleries, museums and the lush surroundings. There are also so many glorious sights to see, places to visit and so much fun to be had. The nightlife is vibrant, but the daytime is just as exciting, so take advantage of every moment while you’re visiting Rio de Janeiro.
Things to do in Rio de Janiero
- Take a cogwheel train up Corcovado to see the Christ the Redeemer statue up close.
- Enjoy a bird’s eye view of Rio on a helicopter flight.
- Explore Rio’s historic centre to learn all about the city’s history.
- Try stand-up paddling from untouched beaches in Barra de Guaratiba.
- Discover one of the world’s largest urban forests, Tijuca Forest.
- Dine at a traditional Churrascaria (barbecue) restaurant.
- Enjoy a cable-car ride up Sugar Loaf mountain.
- Explore the charming neighbourhood of Santa Teresa.
- Laze on legendary Ipanema Beach and people-watch.
- Sip cocktails and learn how to Samba in Lapa.
- Discover the groundbreaking science museum, Museum of Tomorrow.
A city that loves football, Samba, carnivals and teeny bikinis, Rio de Janeiro is a delight to visit with its numerous activities, lively nightlife, carnival atmosphere and tropical surrounds. Whether you choose to laze on a different beautiful beach every day, or explore the city to learn about its history and culture, you’re in for a treat. Experience it on an unforgettable trip with Thompsons Holidays.
Know before you go...
- September and October (spring) are the best months to visit Rio, as well as during Rio Carnival, the last week of February.
- Summer: January to March; Autumn: April to June; Winter: July to September; Spring: October to December.
- Flight duration from Johannesburg to Rio de Janeiro via Sao Paulo: 12 hours, 55 minutes.
- Flight duration from Sao Paulo to Rio: 1 hour, 5 minutes.
- Rio has a very good transport system. Buses and the subway are mainly used as taxis are relatively expensive.
- Lightweight clothing and beachwear in summer. Add layers for winter.
- Pack some appropriate items to enjoy the vibrant nightlife.
- Comfortable walking shoes.
- Sunscreen, lip balm, hat and sunglasses.
- Mini first aid kit and regular prescription medication.
- Hand sanitiser and insect repellent.
- Travel adaptor.
- If passports or valuables are stolen, report the theft to the hotel/police immediately.
- Contact the Thompsons Holidays 24-hour care line to assist.
What can I do to be a responsible traveller?
- Wherever possible, buy local food and souvenirs and support local artisans.
- Instead of using plastic bags, take fabric shopping bags with you.
- Respect each other's cultures and customs.
- Be safety conscious: don’t display cash or valuables.
- Leave expensive jewellery and watches at home.
Out of season
We’re sorry! The holiday you’re looking for is not in season. Luckily, we have loads of other exciting options. Take a look!