Holidays in Mexico are everything you ever imagined them to be – and then some. With its ancient ruins, alluring culture, dynamic cities, mouth-watering cuisine, feisty festive spirit, Spanish style and the vast choice of holiday options, Mexico is an endless adventure for the senses.
Aside from the bustling capital, Mexico City, which is full of fabulous museums, restaurants and activities, there are two fabulous resort towns worth visiting. Cancun is renowned for its fascinating Mayan culture, beautiful beaches and mystical ruins. Playa del Carmen, one of Mexico’s most popular holiday destinations for package holidays, offers stunning resorts, a choice of beaches and numerous fun water activities.
Why visit Mexico
- This exotic destination offers plenty of al fresco experiences – life is lived outdoors as the weather is beautiful, and the sports activities are numerous.
- The locals are friendly, and famous for their love of colour and noisy fiestas.
- Tequila really does taste better in Mexico.
- There are so many different landscapes to discover, from jungles to deserts, mountains and volcanoes – and some of the world’s best beaches.
- Mexico’s fascinating history dates back thousands of years.
- Mayan archaeological treasures abound, including the fascinating Pyramid of the Magician.
- You haven’t lived until you’ve spent time in vibrant, cosmopolitan Mexico City.
- The food is renowned – and sublime.
In Mexico, spicy cuisine, zesty tequila, teeming towns, spectacular ancient civilisations, inspired art, cactus-strewn deserts, sandy beaches and marine-rich lagoons are the order of the day. No matter what type of holiday you’re after, from a romantic getaway to a family beach break, a celebration with friends or a chance to explore the ancient Mayan culture, you will enjoy numerous memorable experiences. Thompsons Holidays will make sure that your Mexico travel package adventure is everything you want it to be.
Things to do in Mexico
Mexico is a colourful and feisty destination with plenty to offer holidaymakers. Here you will find ancient archaeological treasures that go way back to the Mayan civilisation, beautiful sandy beaches rimming an ocean full of marine treasures, magnificent volcanoes and mountains, little villages where you can step back in time to how life was hundreds of years ago and extraordinary, vibrant festivals including the most famous one, the Day of the Dead.
For the adventurous, there are many activities to enjoy, from canyoning and hiking to caving, river rafting and hang gliding. Quieter pursuits include exploring architectural sites and fascinating museums. Still, on the whole, Mexico holidays are raucous, happy, fun-filled experiences not to be missed.
Things to do in Mexico
- Join the jet-set in the beach resort of Cabo San Lucas.
- Go on safari in the Sian Ka’an Reserve to view iguanas, crocodiles, jaguars and more.
- Explore Guadalajara’s museums.
- See colonial architecture in Morelia.
- Discover the archaeological wonder of Chichen Itza.
- Go scuba diving off the Riviera Maya.
- Enjoy deep-sea fishing outside Puerto Vallarta.
- Explore silver workshops in Taxco to purchase handmade items.
- Go horse riding on the beach.
- Discover caves and underground rivers in the Yucatan Peninsula.
- Enjoy whale watching in Baja.
- Explore the magical underwater world while snorkelling in Cozumel.
Many ancient civilisations left their mark in Mexico, and there are numerous extraordinary sights to see. But that’s not all. There are water sports and adventures to enjoy. Let’s not forget Mexico’s natural beauty, delicious food, party-loving people and vibrant music. Mexico travel is a wonderful adventure for family, friends, couples, or those wishing to get away from it all and spend time alone. Let Thompsons Holidays show you this intoxicating country with a holiday package to Mexico.
Know before you go...
- The best time to visit Mexico on a holiday package is in the dry season, from December to April. This is in the winter, but the temperature at this time is still warm, especially if it is dry – in the region of 28°C.
- Flight duration from Johannesburg to Cancun or Guadalajara with one stopover: 24 hours.
- There are reasonably regular flights from South Africa to Mexico. You can also fly to the USA and onto Mexico from there.
- South African passport holders do require a visa to enter Mexico.
- Passports must be valid for 6 months after departure from Mexico.
- Mexico time is GMT-6, 5 hours ahead of South Africa in winter.
- Daylight saving is used in Mexico.
- The official currency is the Mexican Peso (MXN).
- US dollars ($) are accepted in tourist areas, but cash is king, so rather use Pesos.
- Credit cards are widely accepted and ATMs are prevalent in big towns and resorts.
- Service charge is not included in all restaurants so tip 10-20% of the bill.
- Tipping depends on whether you are staying in an all-inclusive resort or travelling on your own.
- The official language is Spanish.
- English is widely spoken.
- Catholicism is practised by most of the population.
- When visiting sacred sites and temples, dress conservatively. (See ‘What to pack’).
- It is not safe to drink tap water in Mexico. Bottled water is readily available.
- Many public restrooms charge a small fee for use, so keep change on hand for this.
- Smoking is not permitted in public areas such as restaurants, bars and indoor work places as well as on public transport. Airports offer designated smoking rooms.
- Vaccinations are / are not currently required but check with your travel clinic before you go.
What must I pack?
- Lightweight clothing in summer, layerable clothing for the dry winter months, when it is still warm.
- Comfortable walking shoes.
- Sunscreen, lip balm, hat and sunglasses.
- Mini first aid kit and regular prescription medication.
- Hand sanitiser and insect repellent.
- Travel adaptor.
- Mexican towns have excellent transport with buses, taxis, tuk tuks and cars.
- Towns in outlying areas may have less sophisticated transport infrastructure – it depends where you are going.
What can I do to be a responsible traveller?
- Wherever possible, buy local food and souvenirs and support local artisans.
- Instead of using plastic bags, take fabric shopping bags with you.
- Respect each other's cultures and customs and avoid imposing your beliefs.
- Be safety conscious: don’t display cash or valuables. Leave jewellery and expensive watches at home.
- Keep your belongings safe – use the hotel safe for passports and valuables and watch out for pickpockets and bag snatchers when out and about.
What do I do in an emergency?
- If passports or valuables are stolen, report the theft to the hotel/police immediately.
- Contact the Thompsons Holidays 24-hour care line to assist.
Out of season
We’re sorry! The holiday you’re looking for is not in season. Luckily, we have loads of other exciting options. Take a look!