Popular with travellers from all over the world, Mykonos is a small white-washed Cycladic island that is abuzz 24/7. Mykonos boasts a number of beautiful gold sand beaches, a vibrant nightlife and a maze of narrow streets filled with clubs, dance bars, restaurants and boutiques. The pretty blue and white houses in Mykonos Town with their colourful bougainvillea are located on narrow streets just waiting to be discovered.
The island is renowned as the most expensive and glamorous destination in Greece. In the summer months many celebrities come here to enjoy the parties, the beaches and the food. Star spotting is just one of the pastimes one can enjoy on a Mykonos holiday package. The island’s picturesque windmills are recognisable as iconic landmarks and the azure sea beckons for a swim, or a cruise to nearby UNESCO-listed Delos to explore.
Why we love Mykonos holidays
- The weather is glorious.
- There are numerous gold sand beaches, each one with its own personality.
- One can stay in a wide selection of luxury hotels and villas to enjoy the jet set life.
- To explore charming Mykonos Town with its white-washed houses and colourful flowers.
- The food is excellent, especially the seafood.
- Fabulous fashion boutiques offer superb garments and jewellery.
- The buzzing nightlife continues till dawn.
- Ancient churches and monasteries are waiting to be discovered.
Vibrant, cosmopolitan and always abuzz, Mykonos is a delight to discover on a holiday package. Experience the island's legendary party atmosphere and beautiful gold sand beaches on a travel package from Thompsons Holidays.
Thing to do in Mykonos
A glorious holiday of sun, sea, sand, sailing and superb seafood awaits when you travel to Mykonos. This glamorous Greek island offers visitors a laid-back, sophisticated lifestyle, with lots of time soaking up the sun, shopping for high fashion items and jewellery, and partying the night away. There are plenty of things to do in Mykonos, no matter what type of holiday you’re after – your only decision will be which to do first.
Things to do in Mykonos
- Party on Paradise or Super Paradise Beach.
- Visit the Panagia Paraportiani, a complex of churches built in the 16th Century.
- Cruise to the island of Delos, home to Apollo and Artemis and one of the country’s most treasured archaeological sites.
- Take a walk to see Mykonos’ windmills at Kato Mili.
- Shop for high fashion and souvenirs in Matoggiani Street.
- Dine at sunset in Little Venice in Mykonos Town overlooking the harbour.
- Explore the Old Harbour, home to the 18th-century Town Hall.
- Spend the day at charming Agios Sostis Beach.
- Visit some of the contemporary art galleries in Mykonos Town.
- Discover the 18th-century Monastery of Paleokastro.
- Enjoy scuba diving at Paradise Reef.
- Explore one of the oldest villages on the island, Ano Mera.
One of the most popular islands in the Aegean, Mykonos is idyllic, romantic and vibrant in equal measures. Travel to this popular Greek island with a Thompsons Holidays package to enjoy some of the best beaches and parties on offer in the summer. Mykonos is truly paradise found for families, couples, friends and those who prefer to travel solo. Mykonos travel offers an unforgettable experience.
Know before you go...
- The best time to visit Mykonos is in the warmer months, late April to early November.
- High season (summer – late June to early September) experiences very high temperatures and can be crowded.
- Low season is winter, from November to March.
- You will fly from Johannesburg to Athens and either fly or take a ferry to Mykonos.
- The flight duration from Johannesburg to Athens direct is approximately 9 hours, 30 minutes.
- Flight from Athens to Mykonos: 35 minutes.
- The ferry trip from Athens to Mykonos takes between 3 and 6 hours.
- Hiring a scooter is the best way to get around Mykonos.
- Lightweight clothing, beachwear, and something dressy if you plan to hit the clubs. Because of the uneven cobbled streets and steep alleys, be sure to pack plenty of flats – sandals are best.
- Dress modestly when visiting religious sites.
- Mykonos enjoys lon, sunny summer days – make sure you protect yourself with sunscreen, lip balm, hat and sunglasses.
- Mini first aid kit and regular prescription medication.
- Hand sanitiser and insect repellent.
- Travel adaptor.
- Do not support animal encounters and wildlife activities that are harmful or unethical.
- Mykonos is an island, so be mindful of the waste you create.
- Wherever possible, buy local food and souvenirs and support local artisans.
- Avoid single-use plastic; instead take fabric shopping bags with you and use refillable water bottles (when local drinking water is available).
- Respect each other’s cultures and customs and avoid imposing your beliefs.
- Always have a map (or app) on hand, especially when travelling at night.
- Be safety conscious: don’t display cash or valuables. Leave jewellery and expensive watches at home.
- Keep your belongings safe – use the hotel safe for passports and valuables and watch out for pickpockets and bag snatchers when out and about.
- If passports or valuables are stolen, report the theft to the hotel/police immediately.
- Contact the Thompsons Holidays 24-hour care line to assist.
Out of season
We’re sorry! The holiday you’re looking for is not in season. Luckily, we have loads of other exciting options. Take a look!