Why travel to Puerto Rico
Known as the Island of Enchantment, Puerto Rico has it all – golden beaches, swaying palm trees, Spanish ruins, jungles, rainforests and waterfalls to explore. Who could ask for more on holiday? In Puerto Rico, the food is a delectable blend of Spanish, African, Asian and Caribbean flavours. The rum is mixed with a variety of exotic fruits, and the nightlife is out of this world. On a Puerto Rico holiday, the sun shines every day, the beaches beckon, and there’s plenty to discover.
Why visit Puerto Rico
- Explore its historical sites including Old San Juan and numerous old forts.
- Puerto Rico’s diverse landscapes are fascinating, from the tropical jungle to the dry forest, waterfalls and underground caves.
- It’s home to one of the world’s best beaches, Flamenco Beach.
- You can swim in fluorescent water in the Bioluminescent Bay in Fajardo.
- Puerto Rico holds festivals almost every week where you get to dance the Salsa to Latino tunes.
With its own inimitable character influenced by all the different cultures that live on this beautiful island, Puerto Rico is a holiday paradise. The island offers every possible type of activity and sports imaginable. Enjoy golf, numerous water activities and adrenaline sports or laze on some of the most beautiful beaches on earth. Puerto Rico travel is ideal for families, solo travellers, couples and friends. Let Thompsons Holidays assist in putting together the perfect Puerto Rico holiday package to suit you.
Things to do in Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico’s diverse landscapes mean that there are so many things to do on this beautiful Caribbean island. Climb a waterfall, surf the waves, snorkel in stunning coral reefs, go golfing or wingsuit flying. You can also snorkel under the sea, go ziplining or soak up the sun on a spectacular beach.
Puerto Rico will enchant you no matter what you want to do or where you want to go. The island’s fascinating history and culture offer plenty of attractions to explore, and its varied terrain means there’s always something new to experience on your Puerto Rico holidays.
Things to do in Puerto Rico
- Climb a waterfall in the rainforest near Caguas.
- Go beach hopping – each beach is more beautiful than the last.
- Learn to dance the traditional Bomba and Danza.
- Explore the fascinating museums in San Juan.
- Stroll through the centuries-old Spanish fort, Castillo San Felipe del Morro.
- Enjoy the surf in Isabela.
- Walk along the ramparts (city walls) of Old San Juan.
- Swim beneath waterfalls in the El Yunque rainforest.
- Visit one of the island’s bioluminescent bays at night.
- Go ziplining at Toro Verde Adventure Park.
- Go diving at The Wall, a 35km coral reef off La Pared.
- Visit the 6-storey ancient fortress of El Morro.
Whether you are beach hopping or exploring the underground caves of Rio Camuy Cave Park, there is so much to do on holiday in Puerto Rico. Whatever you do, Thompsons Holidays can take you on the ultimate Puerto Rico travel adventure, so let us put together the perfect Puerto Rico holiday package for you.
Know before you go...
- The best time to visit Puerto Rico is in spring, from mid-April to June, after the busy winter period.
- The weather is excellent year-round.
- The rainy/hurricane season is between August & October.
- Flight duration from Johannesburg to San Juan in Puerto Rico: 22 hours & 40 minutes.
- There are no regular flights from South Africa to Puerto Rico.
- South African passport holders require a visa to enter Puerto Rico, which is valid for 180 days.
- If you are flying via the USA, you will require a visa to enter the USA.
- Passports must be valid for 6 months after departure from Puerto Rico.
- Puerto Rico is 6 hours behind South Africa.
- Daylight saving is not used in Puerto Rico.
- The official currency is the US Dollar ($ or USD).
- Credit cards are widely accepted & ATMs are prevalent.
- Tipping is an accepted custom in Puerto Rico. Hotels - $1-2 per bag for porters.
- Restaurants - add a tip of 15% to the bill.
- Taxis – tip 15-20% of the fare.
- Puerto Rico’s official languages are Spanish and English, although Spanish is more widely spoken.
- Roman Catholicism is practised by the majority of the population.
- When visiting sacred sites and temples, dress conservatively. (See ‘What to pack’).
- It is safe to drink tap water but bottled water is preferable – and readily available.
- Smoking is not permitted in public areas such as restaurants, bars and indoor work places as well as on public transport. Airports offer designated smoking rooms.
- Vaccinations are / are not currently required but check with your travel clinic before you go.
What must I pack?
- Lightweight clothing in summer, layers for the cooler months, when it is still warm.
- Comfortable walking shoes, slip slops.
- Sunscreen, lip balm, hat and sunglasses.
- Mini first aid kit and regular prescription medication.
- Hand sanitiser and insect repellent.
- Travel adaptor
- Puerto Rico’s transport system includes buses, vans, cars and limos.
What can I do to be a responsible traveller?
- Wherever possible, buy local food and souvenirs and support local artisans.
- Instead of using plastic bags, take fabric shopping bags with you.
- Respect each other's cultures and customs and avoid imposing your beliefs.
- Be safety conscious: don’t display cash or valuables. Leave jewellery and expensive watches at home.
- Keep your belongings safe – use the hotel safe for passports and valuables and watch out for pickpockets and bag snatchers when out and about.
What do I do in an emergency?
- If passports or valuables are stolen, report the theft to the hotel/police immediately.
- Contact the Thompsons Holidays 24-hour care line to assist.
Out of season
We’re sorry! The holiday you’re looking for is not in season. Luckily, we have loads of other exciting options. Take a look!