Caribbean holidays are the paradise escapes you have always imagined. Tropical islands with long stretches of magnificent white palm-fringed beaches where you can enjoy an incredible selection of water sports including sailing, diving, snorkelling and waterskiing. Dance to rhythmic music, savour exotic cocktails and meet warm, hospitable people. What could be more fun?
There are so many Caribbean Islands to explore and experience. Cruise the Caribbean to explore Cuba, known for its time-trapped architecture and classic cars, not forgetting its legendary cigars. Turks and Caicos, an archipelago southeast of the Bahamas, is famous for its unbeatable scuba diving sites. The British Virgin Islands is a popular yachting destination. And on the island of Tortola, you’ll find the rainforest-filled Sage Mountain National Park. That is just a small taste of what you can experience on a Caribbean holiday.
Why we love Caribbean holidays
- The weather is glorious all year round.
- It’s one of the most romantic destinations on earth – ideal for honeymoons or even as a wedding destination.
- You can enjoy the ultimate beach holiday in a choice of stunning resorts to suit every budget.
- Caribbean holidays are ideal for families. Parents can enjoy quality time with their children or take advantage of the varied kids’ clubs at their chosen resort, giving them free time to relax.
- There are so many incredible natural attractions, from Saint Lucia’s Sulphur springs to the Bahamas’ mysterious blue holes, legendary underwater cave systems, streams and passageways.
- Several of the islands feature exceptional National Parks, such as Tobago’s Roxborough Rainforest.
- Wildlife is plentiful, from whales in the sea to turtles on the beach.
Wherever you go, from Antigua and Barbados to Trinidad and Tobago, the Bahamas, Cuba or the Virgin Islands, you’re in for some of the best island holidays in the Caribbean. Make your way from South Africa to your Caribbean dream holiday with Thompsons Holidays.
What to do in the Caribbean
Why not cruise the Caribbean to experience as many of its tropical islands as possible? From Jamaica, with its legendary Reggae sounds and stunning beaches at Montego Bay, to Puerto Rico with its bars and casinos on the coast and colourful Spanish buildings in San Juan. You can explore Antigua’s incredible coral reefs and take a ride in a pastel-hued classic car in Cuba.
Experience the extraordinary on a stylish, ultramodern cruise liner that will take you to visit your dream Caribbean destinations. Or, if you prefer, we can arrange a tropical island holiday where you fly to just one stunning island destination. There are numerous resorts on each paradise Caribbean island that you can use as a base. Go sightseeing and immerse yourself in the island’s culture, enjoy a variety of exciting water sports, or just laze on the beach.
- Visit Montserrat’s Observatory to learn about the island’s active volcano.
- Discover charming Old Havana in Cuba.
- Go on a scuba diving adventure in Tobago.
- Climb to the top of Gros Piton in Saint Lucia.
- Explore the world’s most famous shipwreck in the Virgin Islands.
- Go deep-sea fishing for Blue Marlin in Puerto Rico.
- Drink coffee in Jamaica’s Blue Mountains.
- Enjoy a traditional Caribbean cocktail while lazing on a golden beach.
- Take part in a carnival parade – each island has its own version, so try and visit when one is taking place!
The Caribbean is ideal for a romantic getaway, whether it’s a honeymoon or just to spend time alone together. But these exotic islands are also great for family holidays, time to party with friends, or just to get away from it all on your own. Whatever type of Caribbean vacation you’re looking for, Thompsons Holidays can take you there, to enjoy the ultimate island break.
Know before you go...
- There are regular flights from South Africa to some Caribbean islands, however, you will more than likely be required to catch a connecting flight from another city or country, or from the mainland to your final destination.
- Getting around most islands is easy with public transport, including taxis, buses and where relevant, ferries. You can also hire a car or scooter.
- The most widely spoken languages in the Caribbean islands are English, Spanish, French and Dutch.
- On some islands, the locals also speak a version of Creole.
- English is the first or second language on most of the islands.
What must I pack?
- Depending on when you visit, lightweight clothing for summer, warm layers for cooler weather, a light rain jacket, beachwear, and, if you’re on a Caribbean cruise, formal attire.
- Comfortable walking shoes.
- Sunscreen, lip balm, hat and sunglasses.
- Mini first aid kit and regular prescription medication.
- Hand sanitiser and insect repellent.
- Travel adaptor.
What can I do to be a responsible traveller?
- Wherever possible, buy local food and souvenirs and support local artisans.
- Avoid single-use plastic; rather take fabric shopping bags with you and use refillable water bottles (when local drinking water is available).
- Respect each other's cultures and customs.
- Be safety conscious: don’t display cash or valuables. Leave jewellery and expensive watches at home.
- Keep your belongings safe – use the hotel safe for passports and valuables.
What do I do in an emergency?
- Contact the Thompsons Holidays 24-hour care line to assist.
Out of season
We’re sorry! The holiday you’re looking for is not in season. Luckily, we have loads of other exciting options. Take a look!