Phi Phi Island
Why visit Phi Phi Islands?
Travel to Phi Phi island to discover some of the world’s most beautiful beaches, including Maya Bay on Phi Phi Leh, where The Beach was filmed in 1999. With its postcard-perfect beaches, scenic bays and incredible parties, it’s easy to understand why the Phi Phi islands have become such a sought-after holiday destination.
Located just 45 minutes by speedboat from Phuket, the Phi Phi islands are a holiday paradise. Whether you’re on a day trip or staying on Don Phi Phi, where the Phi Phi island beach resorts are located, you’re in for a treat.
Why visit Phi Phi
- Its beaches are renowned, but some Phi Phi Don beaches are still best-kept secrets.
- You can island hop and explore many untouched islands.
- Partying into the night is a popular pastime, especially in Tonsai Village.
- There’s a beach to suit every type of traveller, whether you’re looking to party, sunbathe, relax or spot dolphins.
- The scenery is breathtaking, including the forests.
On a Phi Phi island trip, the scenery is breathtaking, the people are friendly, and the weather is glorious. Thompsons Holidays can arrange the perfect Phi Phi island holiday package to a choice of beautiful resorts, whether you’re travelling solo, or with your friends, family or partner.
Things to do in Phi Phi Islands
From snorkelling, scuba diving and rock climbing, to island hopping, partying and hiking, there are so many things to do on a trip to the Phi Phi Islands. If you’re travelling with the kids, planning to party with friends or your significant other, or are keen to laze on gorgeous beaches on your own; you’ll find plenty of things to do on Thailand's Phi Phi Islands to keep you happy.
Things to do in Phi Phi Islands
- Go diving off the spectacular Bida Islands.
- Visit the Phi Phi Viewpoint to marvel at an unmatched panorama of beautiful bays.
- Spend the day snorkelling off beautiful Hat Yao.
- Explore spectacular Koh Phi Phi National Park.
- Enjoy island hopping to Bamboo and Mosquito Islands on a long-tailed boat.
- Hike to Ao Lo Dalam at the southern end of Koh Phi Phi.
- Discover the famous Viking Cave by boat.
- Go rock climbing on some of the islands’ famous cliffs.
- Spend the day in legendary Maya Bay.
- Visit the monkeys at Monkey Beach.
- Learn how to make Thai food in a cooking class.
- Explore Tonsai Village.
A Phi Phi island holiday is all about sunshine, seafood, sights, and fun. Whatever you want to do on a Phi Phi island trip can be arranged by Thompsons Holidays to make your trip a memorable and exciting experience.
Know before you go...
- Thailand is an all-year-round destination. However, there are factors to consider when planning your holidays, such as seasonal weather and prices of flights and accommodation.
- Thailand has a tropical climate throughout the country, which means it is hot and humid year-round. The average temperature ranges from 18 to 38°C.
- March to May: High humidity and temperatures.
- November to February: Dry, cool temperatures and low humidity, the best time to travel.
- May to October: Rainy season, general sunny with quick showers in the late afternoon and evening.
- There are regular flights from Johannesburg, Cape Town and Durban to Bangkok, Phuket and Krabi.
- The flight duration varies depending on the airline selected.
- It takes 1 hour to fly from Bangkok to Phi Phi Island.
- South African passport holders do not require a visa for a stay of up to 30 days.
- Passports must be valid for at least 6 months after travel to Thailand.
- Make sure your passport has at least 2 unused pages for any required entry/exit stamps.
- On arrival in Thailand, you will be required to present a return ticket or onward travel arrangements.
- Time zone – Phi Phi Island is 5 hours ahead of South Africa.
- Currency: Thai baht (THB).
- Major credit cards (Visa and Mastercard) are accepted in hotels, shops and large restaurants.
- You can exchange your currency into THB at any authorised money exchanger.
- Tipping is an accepted custom in Thailand. Tip restaurant staff, luggage porters, drivers and guides at your discretion.
- Thai is the country’s official language.
- English is fairly widely spoken in the popular tourist areas.
- Theravada Buddhism is Thailand’s main religion and a strong element of its culture. It is practised by 95% of the population.
- When visiting sacred sites and temples, dress conservatively. (See ‘What to pack’).
- Drinking water is not safe. It is preferable to drink bottled water in Thailand.
- No vaccinations are currently required. Please check with your doctor before you travel.
What must I pack?
- Phi Phi Islands is consistently hot throughout the year, wear loose, breathable clothing.
- Swimming gear is advisable to combat the heat.
- Dress modestly when visiting sacred sites – no shorts or tank tops. Legs & shoulders must be covered. Long, loose pants and long-sleeved cotton shirts are best.
- Comfortable clothes and walking shoes.
- Sunscreen, lip balm, hat and sunglasses for summer holidays.
- Mini first aid kit and regular prescription medication.
- Hand sanitiser and insect repellent.
- Travel adaptor.
What can I do to be a responsible traveller?
- Wherever possible, buy local food and souvenirs and support local artisans.
- Avoid single-use plastic; rather take fabric shopping bags with you and use refillable water bottles (when local drinking water is available).
- Respect each other's cultures and customs and avoid imposing your beliefs.
- Do not support animal encounters and wildlife activities that are harmful or unethical.
- Always have a map (or app) on hand, especially when travelling at night.
- Be safety conscious: don’t display cash or valuables. Leave jewellery and expensive watches at home.
- Keep your belongings safe – use the hotel safe for passports and valuables and watch out for pickpockets and bag snatchers when out and about.
What do I do in an emergency?
- If passports or valuables are stolen, report the theft to the hotel/police immediately.
- Contact the Thompsons Holidays 24-hour care line to assist.
Out of season
We’re sorry! The holiday you’re looking for is not in season. Luckily, we have loads of other exciting options. Take a look!