Durban & surroundings
This is the wet ‘n wild province, where the sun shines all year round, where the warm Indian Ocean calls, and the fun never sets. There’s swimming, surfing, hiking, biking, history and spectacular mountain scenery.
Memorable Must-do Experiences
- Meander along Umhlanga’s promenade.
- Take a day trip to the majestic Drakensberg Mountains.
- Drive among the rolling green hills and enjoy country cuisine and relaxed shopping in the Midlands Meander.
- Shop up a storm at the Gateway Theatre of Shopping.
- Learn more about sharks at the Natal Sharks Board.
- Have fun on one of the many world-class beaches.
Margate, Port Shepstone, Scottburgh, Port Edward, sardines, golf, whales, dolphins, the Oribi Gorge, hibiscus flowers and golden beaches are some of the terms which people associate with this magnificent South Coast region of South Africa and the Zulu Kingdom. Sub-tropical forests, blue lagoons, golden beaches, rocky coves, the warm Indian Ocean and sunny weather make KwaZulu-Natal’s South Coast a popular year-round holiday resort for both local and international visitors.
Breathtaking is the way you would describe both the scenery and your feelings as you plunge over the edge and swing high over the deep gorge. Every winter, there is the phenomenon of the sardine run - millions of sardines migrate up the coast, accompanied by dolphins and other large fish as well as thousands of sea birds which feed on them, and people come from far and wide to scoop up buckets of this natural harvest. Zululand – Hluhluwe & St Lucia
Where can you find an outstanding World Heritage Site, Hluhluwe-iMfolozi Park, the oldest game park in Africa, and South Africa’s supreme dive resort? The exuberant heart of the Zulu Kingdom.
Have a close-up encounter with hippos from a boat on Lake St Lucia and catch sight of white rhino, elephant and giraffe in the Hluhluwe-iMfolozi Park. Revel in a day’s snorkelling at Cape Vidal. Venture out on a St Lucia night-safari to see the giant leatherback turtles. Go scuba-diving at Sodwana, one of the world’s top divesites.
Recapture the horrors of the Anglo-Zulu battles at Isandlwana and Rorke’s Drift. Sip traditional homemade Zulu beer at a cultural kraal-village. Memorable Must-do Experiences
Drakensberg – majestic Mountains
- Have a close-up encounter with hippos, from a boat on Lake St Lucia.
- Catch sight of the white rhino, elephant and giraffe in the Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Park.
- Revel in a day’s snorkelling at Cape Vidal.
- Venture out on a night-safari to see the giant leatherback turtles.
- Go scuba-diving at Sodwana, one of the world’s top dive-sites.
Reaching 3000 metres above sea level the awe inspiring Drakensberg Mountains and the 243 000 hectare mountain park, that it’s a part of, requires no second invitation to visitors.
With seasonally snow-capped peaks, sheer cliffs and deep gorges the uKhahlamba-Drakensberg Park, a world heritage site, offers memorable experiences and activities to suite everyone. Memorable Must-do Experiences
- Enjoy a couple of days of hiking and climbing.
- Seek out ancient Bushman rock ar t.
- Experience a Canopy Tour above ancient trees.
- Try your hand at trout fishing.
- Discover the awesome Drakensberg on horseback.