WHY TRAVEL TO THE MALDIVES?
Scattered like pearls across the Indian Ocean, just north of the equator, the magical islands of the Maldives beckon travellers with the promise of extraordinary holidays. Picture cobalt blue seas, aquamarine reefs, heavenly white beaches, palm trees, iridescent sunsets and pleasant temperatures all year round.
In the Maldives, your island resort is a paradise idyll. Here, hospitality is the name of the game, and guests enjoy personalised service and a variety of activities to keep them busy. Many of the resorts offer all-inclusive packages where all meals and drinks are included, making the Maldives the ultimate destination for total relaxation.
With warm waters which are crystal-clear up to 50m away, marvel at over 1000 species of passing fish ranging from tropical coloured fish to mantas and sharks. Renowned as one of the world’s best diving destinations, be spoilt for choice with fascinating diving sites such as Banana Reef or Fish Head. If you prefer a sensational view from above of the rich marine life, simply snorkel around your island. Cruise the inviting waters in a speedboat, sailboat or banana boat, relax and soak up the sun on the beach or go parasailing to discover the Maldivian archipelago or try a surfing safari.
In the evenings, savour a delicious variety of fresh fish and seafood with an Indian and Sri Lankan influence and be entertained by the friendly Maldivians with Bodu Beru, their festive music featuring drums, song and dance.
Why we love Maldives holidays
- It’s your dream of an exotic island holiday come true.
- The underwater marine life is breathtaking. In some atolls (e.g. Baa and Ari), you can see endangered whale sharks.
- Immerse yourself in the charming Maldivian lifestyle, evident in the island villages.
- The Maldives is the best place to get away from it all – you’re literally in the middle of the sea!
- It’s one of the most romantic places on earth with many honeymoon packages available.
- The seafood is sensational.
- It’s one of the best diving destinations in the world.
- The weather is glorious year-round.
Whether you’re looking for a romantic honeymoon, a family getaway, or some time out with friends, the Maldives is an ideal choice. Let Thompsons Holidays tailor make your holiday package to suit your tastes and your budget. Things to do in Maldives
- Explore the island and visit a tiny village to learn all about the local’s culture and traditions.
- Enjoy a romantic picnic on a sandbank, just the two of you.
- Be pampered at a resort spa, with a selection of stunning health and beauty treatments.
- Go island hopping to nearby islands.
- View over 1,000 species of passing fish, ranging from tropical coloured varieties to sharks and manta rays when you go diving and snorkelling in the Maldives.
- Go surfing or stand-up paddleboarding, depending on your skill.
- Take a flight in a seaplane to see the islands from above.
- Go deep-sea fishing.
- Enjoy a traditional cooking lesson.
- Embark on a romantic sunset cruise with your partner.
What could be more extraordinary than a holiday in the Maldives? Whether you’re looking for adventure, fun, relaxation, or romantic seclusion, let Thompsons Holidays tailor-make your Maldives package. General infoLanguage:
English is widely spoken.Currency:
The local currency in the Maldives is the Rufiyaa. US Dollars are widely accepted in all resorts.Visa:
South African passport holders do not require a visa.Time:
3 Hours ahead of South Africa. Certain islands operate on ‘Island Time’ which is 2 Hours ahead of South Africa.What things cost:
These are approximate prices and may vary according to hotels and seasons. (US Dollars)
Bottle of water: USD3 - 5
Soft drink / beer: USD5 - 8
Bottle of wine: USD25 - 150
Light lunch: USD25 - 65
Dinner: USD50 – 150 Climate:
A tropical climate with warm temperatures year round and many hours of sunshine. With an average temperature of 31°C and an average minimum temperature of 26°C there are only small variations in daily temperature throughout the year. The hottest month on average is April and the coolest December.Customs:
Alcoholic beverages, pork and pork products are restricted items and will be confiscated.