How to Apply and Renew Your South African Passport

Many South Africans are looking to renew their passports, as a wave of international travel floods the globe. Here are our tips. 

DISCLAIMER: Thompsons Holidays is in no way able to assist with passport renewals. This article is purely informative with the goal of providing the reader with the necessary information on how to go about applying for or renewing your South African passport.

 blake guidry jXxdtXFEjcc unsplash 

This is an exciting time for those who are excited to return to travel, and anticipation levels are rising daily as we receive many tempting and affordable deals to a rapidly expanding world of travel. But, have you checked your passport validity? Make sure you’ve got enough time to renew your passport before travel, or that your documents have at least 6 months validity remaining. 

The Department of Home Affairs have streamlined the process in applying for your passport – both offline and online -  and you should be pleasantly surprised at how smooth this function has become.  

Here is how you can apply for (or renew) your passport: 
Call at your nearest Home Affairs office  
  • No appointment is required. Take along your ID, current (expired / or expiring) passport and the fee (currently R400). Take cash as their cash points are often down. 
  • A duly completed passport application form (DHA-73).  
  • If you are under 18, parental consent is required for issuing of a passport. If you are under 16, then additional requirements apply (see below). 
  • Two colour photographs that comply with the Passport and ID Photograph Specifications 
  • They will capture your biometrics and signature and in a few weeks the passport will be ready for collection (beware – longer delays may apply) 
Online application 
  • This more advanced system is designed to save time. 
  • Simply go to the eHomeAffairs website  and register online. 
  • Make your online payment. 
  • To record your biometrics you have two options: 
  • Proceed to your nearest Home Affairs office with your ID, old passport and proof of payment and they will record your photo, thumbprints and signature. 


  • Make an appointment with a participating branch (BABS System) online. Simply access the Department of Home Affairs website and select the BABS button to book an appointment at a branch.
  • Make an appointment at your nearest Home Affairs-Equipped Bank Branch (see below). Currently this is only available at participating banks in Gauteng and Cape Town. 
  • Then sit back and wait for an email or SMS to collect your passport! 
mpho mojapelo BAIrTR0ZkUM unsplash v2
Which banks am I able to complete my online application at? 

In Gauteng

  • ABSA: Centurion
  • FNB: Lynnwood, Pretoria
  • FNB: Merchant Place, Sandton
  • Nedbank: Arcadia, Pretoria
  • Nedbank: Constantia Kloof, Roodepoort
  • Nedbank: Rivonia, Sandton
  • Standard Bank: Centurion 
  • Standard Bank: Killarney, Johannesburg
  • Standard Bank: Simmonds Street, Johannesburg
  • Investec Bank: Sandton
  • Standard Bank: Jubilee Mall, Hammanskraal
  • ABSA: Key West Mall, Krugersdorp
  • ABSA: Sandton
  • FNB: Glen Shoppign Centre, Oakdene

In Cape Town 

  • Standard Bank: Canal Walk, Cape Town
  • FNB: Greenpoint, Cape Town
  • Nedbank: St Georges Mall, Cape Town
  • Standard Bank: Mitchell’s Plain Promenade, Mitchell’s Plain
  • FNB: Portside, Cape Town

In Kwa-Zulu Natal

  • FNB: Cornubia, Greyville
  • Standard Bank: Kingsmead, Greyville

In Limpopo

  • FNB: Burgersfort, Limpopo

In Eastern Cape

  • ABSA: Gqerberha
  • Standard Bank: Newtown, Gqerberha
What do I need to know when applying for a passport for minors under 16? 
  •  A duly completed passport application form (DHA-73) as well as the child’s South African birth certificate and a copy thereof, and two colour passport photographs. 
  • Payment of the passport application fee (currently R400). 
  • If parents are married, the form must be signed by both parents, and both parents and the child need to be in attendance during the application. 
  • If a parent is deceased, his or her death certificate and a copy must accompany the application for a passport. 
  • If parents are divorced and sole parental rights and responsibilities have not been granted to one parent, the child and both parents must be in attendance during the application and both parents need to sign. 
  • In the case of minors born out of wedlock, the biological father ’s consent will also be required if any of the circumstances as outlined in section 21 of the Children’s Act, 1995, are applicable, the child and both parents should be in attendance when the application is submitted. 
  • If the applicant is in the care of a guardian other than the parents, proof of the High Court’s appointment must accompany the application. 
  • If a parent cannot be located or refuses to consent, or a dispute concerning consent arises, the matter should be referred to the Children’s Court. The Court’s decision must be submitted with the application for the passport. 

convertkit htQznS Rx7w unsplash 1

If you’re planning your next international holiday, then start by checking the validity of your passport. If you need to apply for a new one or renew your existing, then ensure you have enough time before your travel dates. 

We look forward to planning your next trip!

Happy travels.

Travel Tips

More Deal Collections

2024 Holiday Package Deals
480 Deals from R952
South Africa Deals
125 Deals from R366
Mauritius Deals
63 Deals from R14,465
Hot Deals

Related Trips