Hotels or Self-Catering? What's Best for You?
When we talk holidays we immediately start searching for suitable hotel accommodation at our chosen destination. Beachfront hotel or game lodge, city hotel or country resort? There are so many choices and benefits of hotels in the form of additional services, and resort hotels have a long list of entertainment activities to keep all ages occupied.
Beach hotels automatically have an advantage for sun and sea lovers, and game lodges enthrall you with safari activities like game drives and guided walks.
However, in recent years there’s been a surge in popularity in self-catering accommodation – and the benefits are enormous. Ideally suiting those South Africans who enjoy doing their own thing on their own time, and cooking or braaiing on their own terms, self-catering chalets or apartments tick all the boxes!
These units are purpose built with top quality finishes and modern decor. The kitchens are state-of-the-art and the living space often spreads out onto a patio with a gas braai for easy al-fresco meals. Daily servicing is included so there is no drudgery and you can get on with your holiday.
Here are some tips to assist you in deciding between hotels or self-catering accommodation.
- Hotels spoil their clients with services like 24-hour room service, butler and laundry services, and choice of on-site dining till late. Many hotels have a gym, spa and wellness center, small private cinema and even hairdressers.
- Self-catering establishments suit both couples and families and allow a more relaxed atmosphere with no dress codes and the convenience of preparing meals at all hours. Most offer daily servicing and some will process laundry too.
- Not all hotels are suitable for small children and parents might become uncomfortable with small children in a hotel restaurant. Self-catering allows you to prepare meals your kids enjoy – or give you the opportunity to eat out or order in! Plus, there’s space to relax with a glass of wine in your own space once the kids have gone to bed.
- Self-catering apartments are usually more economical if shared by family and friends but are generally best suited to longer stays. Some establishments offer a starter pack (such as fresh milk, a bottle of wine and sparkling water) to get you going and will even supply groceries when required. Hotels by contrast are great for short stays with minimal fuss.
- The popularity of self-catering apartments has seen an increase in new-builds with many on-site facilities and in the case of Mauritius, there is a wide choice. Many are on or close to the beach, public transport and great shopping and restaurants. You can even engage a chef to shop and produce ethnic specialties.
- Resort hotels have daily entertainment programs to keep the whole family busy and self-catering resorts tend to have pools and play areas. This in turn encourages families to go out and explore the local sights and attractions.
The above tips will give you some direction when choosing between hotels and self-catering accommodation. Both options have their special attractions.
Thompsons Holidays has a vast range of hotels, resorts, game lodges and self-catering packages available, from local weekend breaks to all-inclusive resort packages. Contact us today to find the perfect holiday.